cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hypothetical - Say Mitt Romney Becomes President (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15682)

The Borg 01-08-2008 02:43 PM

Hypothetical - Say Mitt Romney Becomes President

For those that are LDS:

Would that make you:
1) more inclined to be proud of your faith, and more willing to talk about it, or
2) be embarrassed about your faith if he made a mistake and shirk from aligning yourself with how he "is"

MikeWaters 01-08-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 171662)
For those that are LDS:

Would that make you:
1) more inclined to be proud of your faith, and more willing to talk about it, or
2) be embarrassed about your faith if he made a mistake and shirk from aligning yourself with how he "is"

The more relevant question is whether other people would be more interested in talking to me about Mormonism.

The last time I had someone interested in talking to me about Mormonism was a colleague who had just read Krakauer's book.

DJRoss 01-08-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

For those that are LDS:

Would that make you:

Wouldn't change a thing regarding myself. I have a 48 hour rule that means that anyone that I come in contact with that I will be meeting more than in just a fleeting situation will find out that I am LDS. For better or for worse, I like getting it out there from the start.

BYU71 01-08-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

For those that are LDS:

Would that make you:

I don't get into this a mormon makes me proud or embarasses me thing.

I do like the visibility in that someone can see my faith isn't a bunch of wacko's, but that doesn't equate to proud or embarassed.

Now, maybe someone can explain to me why I shouldn't feel that way.

BYU71 01-08-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRoss (Post 171666)
Wouldn't change a thing regarding myself. I have a 48 hour rule that means that anyone that I come in contact with that I will be meeting more than in just a fleeting situation will find out that I am LDS. For better or for worse, I like getting it out there from the start.

If I came into contact with you in a business setting and I saw you made an effort to let me know your religion, you would have a tough time doing business with me.

It isn't just your religion, I feel the same way about anyone who feels the need to let me know about their religion if I don't ask.

The Borg 01-08-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 171664)
The more relevant question is whether other people would be more interested in talking to me about Mormonism.

The last time I had someone interested in talking to me about Mormonism was a colleague who had just read Krakauer's book.

Yes...this is kind of what I was getting at...but worded poorly. If he won, there would be plenty (especially outside of Utah) that would suddenly find an opportunity to openly talk to you about being LDS.

But, depending on how he behaves in the public eye, may or may not influence how people within the Church respond.

Quite honestly, it is my opinion, that if he were to win the presidency, it would be the single most influential missionary influence since Joseph Smith.

TripletDaddy 01-08-2008 04:49 PM

I am happy to let people know regardless of who holds office. Once I learned this words to this song, I never looked back:

I’m a Mormon, yes I am,
And if you want to study a Mormon, I’m a living specimen.
Maybe you think I’m just like everybody else you see,
But trust in my word, you’ll be quick to observe,
I’m as different as can be!

SeattleUte 01-08-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRoss (Post 171666)
I like getting it out there from the start.

This is one reason why 30% of America says they wouldn't vote for any Mormon. I bet you're insufferable.

Archaea 01-08-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 171763)
This is one reason why 30% of America says they wouldn't vote for any Mormon. I bet you're insufferable.

It's down to fifteen percent now, geeze, get your facts straight.

tooblue 01-08-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 171763)

It wouldn't change a thing for me either ... I openly talk about my faith. If that bothers 71, then I would be pleased NOT to do business with him.

It actually might spice things up and provide a little more amunition to raz me.