cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The view from Memphis (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18232)

myboynoah 04-03-2008 04:35 PM

The view from Memphis

Lots of people running around in Memphis Tigers gear as well as sporting those car window flags (has that caught on out there in the west?) on their vehicles. Also a lot of talk of not getting the proper respect from the national media as well as from the larger conferences. Every slight is noted.

This is really a big thing for Memphis, a town that suffers from a significant inferiority complex. Racial tension, crime, horrible local leadership (the current mayor wants to resign to become chairman of the school board because it pays more), horrible local government (Shelby County alone projects a larger budget deficit than the State of Tennessee), et al combine to sustain a "we are a bunch of losers" image many people feel overhangs the city. Just last week the local percentage ownership in the Grizzlies decreased from 30 to 6 percent because the franchise is bleeding money (might be the worst run team in the league).

So going to the final four is a great boost and Calipari is a god here. If they don't win, these folks are going to take it hard. The suspencion of back up point guard Andre Allen is the talk of the town today, kind of a "what did we expect" bad omen. Not that Allen's absence will affect on-the-court team performance that much, just a "well, that's par for the course" response.

No matter what happens, this should be fun to watch.

ute4ever 04-03-2008 05:43 PM

I hope UCLA beats down those whiny, crying gangster thugs big time.

I guess they are the ones who will pull out the cliche about nobody in the world giving them a chance to win, it was them against the world. (Ignore the fact that they are a one seed, of course).

RockyBalboa 04-03-2008 05:49 PM

Michael Heisley...owner of the Grizzlies is hands down one of the worst owners in professional sports.

landpoke 04-03-2008 05:53 PM

Is this one of those "It's a Memphis thing, you wouldn't understand" things?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...yers_have_long

cougjunkie 04-03-2008 05:57 PM

The best part about Calipari playing the no respect card is the fact that they are not only a one seed but the second ranked 1 seed behind UNC. They also are favored over UCLA right now.

myboynoah 04-03-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 204693)
I hope UCLA beats down those whiny, crying gangster thugs big time.

I'm torn. All the hoopla and whining makes me hope they lose. But so many good people I know are so into this and the area could really use a boost that I'd like to see them win.

We don't need you Mississippi people bringing us down. You're already suing us over water rights.

myboynoah 04-03-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 204701)
The best part about Calipari playing the no respect card is the fact that they are not only a one seed but the second ranked 1 seed behind UNC. They also are favored over UCLA right now.

Something Bryant Gumbel said disrespecting the Tigers was referenced this morning Could that be an omen?

RockyBalboa 04-03-2008 06:10 PM

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute........They've been told all year because of the Conference they play in that they're overated.

If BYU crashes the BCS in the next season or two, we'll hear the same thing and BYU fans will use the lack of respect card as well.

Spaz 04-03-2008 07:17 PM

I hope they lose, and solely due to poor free-throw shooting, in the vain hope that it encourages kids in the future to work on their free-throws....

marsupial 04-03-2008 08:51 PM

I am a Tiger by marriage and am looking forward to Saturday's game. (Even though I don't normally care about basketball.)