cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   So I don't watch American Idol (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25477)

Archaea 02-21-2009 10:07 PM

So I don't watch American Idol

and heard on the radio a song, "My life would suck without you" by a person named Kelly Clarkson. I thought, "hmm", I wonder if she is very famous, then I googled and learned she was some American Idol phenom. Is this the only one from that show which I have not watched that has become a famous performer? Yes, I'm late to the party but what the hell better to be late than to never show.

RedHeadGal 02-23-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 300842)
Kelly Clarkson. . . Is this the only one from that show which I have not watched that has become a famous performer? Yes, I'm late to the party but what the hell better to be late than to never show.

No, she is not. There are many. Yes, you are late. I also don't usually watch this show, but I do know that.

Thanks for the opportunity to feel pop culturally literate again after that Natasha whatsherface incident. Pretty low threshold you've set here, though, so I won't pat myself on the back too hard.

Archaea 02-23-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 300879)
No, she is not. There are many. Yes, you are late. I also don't usually watch this show, but I do know that.

Thanks for the opportunity to feel pop culturally literate again after that Natasha whatsherface incident. Pretty low threshold you've set here, though, so I won't pat myself on the back too hard.

Barbara has made a career her out of laughing at my ignorance of pop culture. It's great to be among a peer again, after DDD and BG take turns humiliating me.

RedHeadGal 02-23-2009 06:44 PM

Nah, you've got me pegged wrong. I try to be cool, but sometimes I just don't have the time or the tolerance level to rise to that level. Plus, I rarely drive in a car, so I rarely listen to the radio.

Archaea 02-23-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 300949)
Nah, you've got me pegged wrong. I try to be cool, but sometimes I just don't have the time or the tolerance level to rise to that level. Plus, I rarely drive in a car, so I rarely listen to the radio.

I am cool, I just don't play to others cool. You're DC so you've go metro.

BarbaraGordon 02-23-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 300842)
and heard on the radio a song, "My life would suck without you" by a person named Kelly Clarkson. I thought, "hmm", I wonder if she is very famous, then I googled and learned she was some American Idol phenom. Is this the only one from that show which I have not watched that has become a famous performer? Yes, I'm late to the party but what the hell better to be late than to never show.

You're listening to a station that plays Kelly Clarkson?

Good gracious Archaea, have you no shame at all?

Kelly is not the only star to come off of AI. She's not even the biggest -- not by a longshot.

Archaea 02-23-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 300968)
You're listening to a station that plays Kelly Clarkson?

Good gracious Archaea, have you no shame at all?

Kelly is not the only star to come off of AI. She's not even the biggest -- not by a longshot.

Apparently no shame, but I can blame it on daughter number two. So that I won't get this wrong on the next pop quizz, please inform me which Idol hit it bigger. Wikipedia, that veritable fountain of knowledge, made me think Kelly was the biggest winner.

BarbaraGordon 02-23-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 300971)
Apparently no shame, but I can blame it on daughter number two. So that I won't get this wrong on the next pop quizz, please inform me which Idol hit it bigger. Wikipedia, that veritable fountain of knowledge, made me think Kelly was the biggest winner.

Depends on which measure you use, but Carrie Underwood has won something like five Grammies and eight or nine CMAs. She's sold an obscene number of albums, and of course she's gorgeous. Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar and a couple of Grammies. Kelly has been successful, but she's not alone.

ute4ever 02-23-2009 08:46 PM

ute4ever's ex-girlfriend

BarbaraGordon 02-23-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 300976)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now I get why you didn't want me to bring out a casserole. Three's a crowd, eh?