cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   disconnect between team/bronco and fans (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24643)

bYuPride 11-11-2008 05:05 PM

disconnect between team/bronco and fans

reading in the Salt Lake Tribune BYU blog (http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/) got me frustrated hearing Travis Bright's displeasure with the fans and their support. Bright is a team captain. He's a main representative of the team and what they think. Between this and Bronco bitching about the booing every 5 seconds, it's getting really old. Bronco says fans have to prove to him they are fully invested. That's getting old. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the team is finding ways to win. I'm pumped that we are 9-1 and in the top 20. I just wish the were more of a connection between the players and fans. I wish the team being in the 'spotlight' wasn't a 'distraction', rather it was a something they embraced and thrived on.

YOhio 11-11-2008 05:20 PM

If Bronco didn't love fans he wouldn't set up firesides for us every week. What more could we ask for?

TripletDaddy 11-11-2008 05:23 PM

Bronco should shut his Coaches Circle pie hole about the fans proving they are fully invested. The school would not be paying him his current salary if it werent for the fans....who are basically paying it.

The expectations are really high right now because we have a rare convergence of offensive talent, which we should not squander via half-hearted effort.

The loss to TCU does dampen enthusiasm. Welcome to big-time football, where the goal is NOT a winning season or to make it to a bowl game. The goal is to play on the biggest stages. Losing a game puts an end to that goal.

A 9-1 season is still great and fans should not abandon the team, but BYU cannot have it both ways......do the Cougars want to compete at the highest level or not? And if so, then they need to get used to rabid fans that live and die with every single mistake or success. This problem isnt unique to BYU, maybe BYU just isnt used to high expectations.

Jeff Lebowski 11-11-2008 05:32 PM

Well, that's the price you pay when you are on a "Quest for Perfection!". By definition, the season is a failure already.

bYuPride 11-11-2008 05:36 PM

i have to wonder if utah being 10-0 has to do with the supposed 'deflation' of fans or perhaps the team? if utah were 6-4 or 7-3 while BYU is posting a 9-1 record if the 'feeling' would be much different.

Surfah 11-11-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 293716)
i have to wonder if utah being 10-0 has to do with the supposed 'deflation' of fans or perhaps the team? if utah were 6-4 or 7-3 while BYU is posting a 9-1 record if the 'feeling' would be much different.

Ding, ding, ding!

jay santos 11-11-2008 05:47 PM

Bronco can't play the 9-1 card if he also plays the dumb down the schedule card.

The last six games, we are 5-1, but during those six games we've played the level of football that would have earned us 3-3 had we played a normal schedule.

Hazzard 11-11-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 293716)

And the corollary to this accurate statement is ... if we beat Utah, all will be forgiven.

scottie 11-11-2008 05:58 PM

Do any of you here think BYU fans boo more than other fans? I do, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's somehow connected to the persecution complex we have as Mormons.

Surfah 11-11-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 293734)
Do any of you here think BYU fans boo more than other fans? I do, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's somehow connected to the persecution complex we have as Mormons.

Not even close. Go to any sports game in Philadelphia.