cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Introduction (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10209)

Jim Swarthout 07-23-2007 03:03 AM

Introduction

Since there is a specific page for introductions, here it goes:

I've been lurking on BYU sports message boards since at least 2000. I think it all started with a board some guy in the Phoenix area ran, but he couldn't keep it up due to health problems. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I've never posted much on CB because I've never felt that I have something so important to say that anybody would want to read it.

I'm a passionate BYU fan and am glad to have found this group by recommendation from Scottie, we were in the same mission together. As for my religious leanings, I'm more of a NOM than a TBM right now in my life.

Archaea 07-23-2007 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout (Post 104607)

I've been lurking on BYU sports message boards since at least 2000. I think it all started with a board some guy in the Phoenix area ran, but he couldn't keep it up due to health problems. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I've never posted much on CB because I've never felt that I have something so important to say that anybody would want to read it.

I'm a passionate BYU fan and am glad to have found this group by recommendation from Scottie, we were in the same mission together. As for my religious leanings, I'm more of a NOM than a TBM right now in my life.

NOM, TBM?

I don't know what those are. Sorry for my ignorance.

BarbaraGordon 07-23-2007 03:05 AM

Welcome, Jim. (I would call you JS but we already have one of those.)

Solon 07-23-2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout (Post 104607)

I love your moniker. Fletch is a classic. My favorite Fletch line: "Three names I enjoy: Marvin, Velma, . . . and Provo."

What do NOM and TBM stand for?

Welcome. I'm not an old-timer here, but this is a great place, full of nice people and interesting ideas.

Archaea 07-23-2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 104612)
I love your moniker. Fletch is a classic. My favorite Fletch line: "Three names I enjoy -- Marvin, Velma, . . . and Provo." --- Fletch.

What do NOM and TBM stand for?

Welcome. I'm not an old-timer here, but this is a great place, full of nice people and interesting ideas.

My guesses are: Name Only Member and True Blue Member.

Jim Swarthout 07-23-2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 104613)
My guesses are: Name Only Member and True Blue Member.

Close

NOM = New Order Mormon (note, this doesn't mean an LDS devotee of the 80's band spawned by Joy Division). In short, a NOM is one who is attempting to find a middle path to Mormonism -- somewhere between it's all true or all fraud.

TBM = 1. True Believing Mormon; 2. True-Blue Mormon. In SU's world, this may be someone who has drank the Kool-Aid or, less sarcastically, one who believes the foundational elements of the LDS church literally.

SeattleUte 07-23-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout (Post 104617)
Close

NOM = New Order Mormon (note, this doesn't mean an LDS devotee of the 80's band spawned by Joy Division). In short, a NOM is one who is attempting to find a middle path to Mormonism -- somewhere between it's all true or all fraud.

TBM = 1. True Believing Mormon; 2. True-Blue Mormon. In SU's world, this may be someone who has drank the Kool-Aid or, less sarcastically, one who believes the foundational elements of the LDS church literally.

Welcome, Jim. This is the place to come for enlightenment re such matters.

FMCoug 07-23-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 104909)
Welcome, Jim. This is the place to come for enlightenment re such matters.

Translation: "I will do everything in my power to assist you in the transition from NOM to true apostate."

MikeWaters 07-23-2007 06:47 PM

FMCoug wants to know if you claim pioneers as among your ancestors.

Sleeping in EQ 07-24-2007 03:00 PM

Welcome, JS. You should fit right in.