cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Charge converter (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19122)

Mrs. Funk 05-05-2008 03:42 PM

Charge converter

Yeah, so this has nothing to do with masturbation OR S&M, so sorry. I just wondering if anyone knows a good place to buy an European charge converter, not the random bag of adapters that it seems everybody has. I've seen kind of tubular integrated charge converter/adapter thingy, but I have no clue where to acquire one.

Thanks! Now get back to your dirty polls.

TripletDaddy 05-05-2008 03:51 PM

If you are going to be there for any length of time, the best option is to simply buy a hair dryer or whatever else once you get there.

This also goes for packing umbrellas.

Often, voltage converters wind up frying your appliance anyway.

ute4ever 05-05-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 217231)
Often, voltage converters wind up frying your appliance anyway.

Every time I inserted my laptop plug into the converter, it would spark.

Mrs. Funk 05-05-2008 03:59 PM

Well, I don't have a viable option of repurchasing a laptop in Europe, sorry. So no dice. As for a hairdryer, I think I'm doing Mia Farrow with my hairstyle tomorrow, so no dryer required.

Any other suggestions?

TripletDaddy 05-05-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 217237)
Well, I don't have a viable option of repurchasing a laptop in Europe, sorry. So no dice. As for a hairdryer, I think I'm doing Mia Farrow with my hairstyle tomorrow, so no dryer required.

Any other suggestions?

I forgot about the laptop.

Doesnt Baker provide you with a laptop? I have never heard of BYOC at a job before.

ute4ever 05-05-2008 04:11 PM

I initially tried Radio Shack, and they directed me to a luggage / travel store at the mall that sold individual converters. That was in SoCal, but you get the point.

landpoke 05-05-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 217236)
Every time I inserted my laptop plug into the converter, it would spark.

You just couldn't let her ask her question without smutting it up could you?

Mrs. Funk 05-05-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 217242)
I forgot about the laptop.

Doesnt Baker provide you with a laptop? I have never heard of BYOC at a job before.

Well, I don't know. And seeing that I'm going to be a scummy little American extern that they really don't want anyway, I think my chances of getting a nice computer for my 30 days of slave labor are limited.

Mrs. Funk 05-05-2008 05:03 PM

Power cord on my Lenovo

So I just called a luggage store, and they said I don't need a charge converter with a laptop because the powercords usually have dual voltage capabilities. Instead, I just need the appropriate wall plug-in and I'm good to go. Is this true? I'm wary of this.

myboynoah 05-05-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 217281)
So I just called a luggage store, and they said I don't need a charge converter with a laptop because the powercords usually have dual voltage capabilities. Instead, I just need the appropriate wall plug-in and I'm good to go. Is this true? I'm wary of this.

Your laptop should be okay. Look at the specs on your cord and adapter, it probably says Input: 100-240V-50-60Hz, meaning that you're good to go with France's 220-230V no problem. (I would be very surprised if your unit is only 110.) Yes, you will need a plug adapter.

The same goes for most electronics, but you should check each device to make sure it is 100-240V.

What other appliances do you plan on taking? The biggest issue seems to be hair dryers. 3D is right, go by a local cheapy for $20 and avoid the hassle. The transformers needed to handle a hair dryer are usually $40 and up and would need to be purchased in Europe.

Let me know if you have any individual questions. We lived through this.