cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Financial expert says Fannie and Freddie should go bankrupt (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20938)

MikeWaters 07-15-2008 03:48 PM

Financial expert says Fannie and Freddie should go bankrupt

and that is what is best for the economy. He said that we are only delaying the inevitable, and avoiding real reform.

He says these kinds of things in reality don't buoy confidence in foreign investors.

This was on NPR.

SeattleUte 07-15-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 242479)
and that is what is best for the economy. He said that we are only delaying the inevitable, and avoiding real reform.

He says these kinds of things in reality don't buoy confidence in foreign investors.

This was on NPR.

The miracle of government programs. I always knew government could do wonderful things for society.

Indy Coug 07-15-2008 04:15 PM

The government pumping money into Fannie and Freddie is a PR move to show the government is backing their financial obligations, which was the underlying assumption all along when these mortgage securities were rated AAA.

MikeWaters 07-15-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 242506)
The government pumping money into Fannie and Freddie is a PR move to show the government is backing their financial obligations, which was the underlying assumption all along when these mortgage securities were rated AAA.

Ok. We know that.

But this move of confidence has appeared to do very little. And the dollar is tanking again.

MikeWaters 07-15-2008 07:28 PM

What if the Freddie and Fannie bailout (if it happens) costs half a trillion dollars?

Are we going to just print more money, sink the dollar lower, and increase the deficit?

BYU71 07-16-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 242479)

This was on NPR.

What was the experts name. He probably owns a hedge fund that is short those stocks. NPR of course probably didn't mention that.

MikeWaters 07-16-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 243062)
What was the experts name. He probably owns a hedge fund that is short those stocks. NPR of course probably didn't mention that.

Rodgers in Singapore, I believe.

I see that many in congress are coming out against this bailout, including many GOP. If not mostly GOP.

BYU71 07-16-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 243063)
Rodgers in Singapore, I believe.

I see that many in congress are coming out against this bailout, including many GOP. If not mostly GOP.

Oh, Jimmy Rodgers. He bad mouths anything the fed does, the government does. Of course if you bad mouth those two entities all the time, you will be right most of the time.

It is a controversial decision and I come down on the side of let em fail. I don't think their failing or not failing will have a big impact long term either way.