cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cycling in Maui (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5245)

Archaea 11-28-2006 03:54 AM

Cycling in Maui

My new favorite sport.

First, riding up Hale Akala is great fun, thirty-eight miles straight up, from 85 to 45. Brrrr. Going down is scarier because of all the nutty tourists on mountain bikes. I wish I could have done it twice in one day, but the kids were at the condo alone.

Second, riding around the point from Kahana to Kaului is fun and there are some wonderful 18 percent ascents (very short, but try getting back on after you figured out your TT bike changes gears differently placing you in your hardest gears.

It was a good workout and fun.

creekster 11-28-2006 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 46231)
My new favorite sport.

First, riding up Hale Akala is great fun, thirty-eight miles straight up, from 85 to 45. Brrrr. Going down is scarier because of all the nutty tourists on mountain bikes. I wish I could have done it twice in one day, but the kids were at the condo alone.

Second, riding around the point from Kahana to Kaului is fun and there are some wonderful 18 percent ascents (very short, but try getting back on after you figured out your TT bike changes gears differently placing you in your hardest gears.

It was a good workout and fun.

Can you give us a little more than that? I would like some details.

Archaea 11-28-2006 05:16 AM

Hale Akala starts along a highway on the Road to Hana, or at Paia, closer to Hana. We started in Paia, up a gradual road of about six to eight percent grade and then you cut to the right, or west along a bouncy road back to the main highway at around Kula. From there, you have ascended a thousand feet or so and then next twenty eight commence the remaining eight thousand feet or so of climbing.

The road is windy with a few twelve percent grades but nothing serious. You see loads of fat old people in rain jackets, which should have been a clue with guides.

You pass through a few communities, but aside from restaurants, but no refueling points after Kula. It rained and rained. Finally, you reach the ranger station, cold and wet with eleven miles to go, and the rangers still charge you even though you're on a bike. By that time, you're about seven or seven thousand five hundred feet. Now the terrain is actually an easier climb, but my knees hurt a bit from being on a twenty three TT bike. Thankfully the wife and I went leisurely up the hill about eight to nine miles per hour with some slower than that and some faster. The closer one gets to the top of the crater, the colder it got. We had loads of downhillers clapping at us, but by the time we're at the top, we had zero visibility. So the vista we came to see was for naught. It was cold, almost snowing.

The west side has beautiful vistas, with lots of rolling hills. It devolves into a scary one lane, but lightly traveled. The best ride because you get some fun little climbs but great scenary. We just did thirty or so miles on these days.

Cycling in Maui is dangerous but fun. Questions?

creekster 11-28-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 46239)
Hale Akala starts along a highway on the Road to Hana, or at Paia, closer to Hana. We started in Paia, up a gradual road of about six to eight percent grade and then you cut to the right, or west along a bouncy road back to the main highway at around Kula. From there, you have ascended a thousand feet or so and then next twenty eight commence the remaining eight thousand feet or so of climbing.

The road is windy with a few twelve percent grades but nothing serious. You see loads of fat old people in rain jackets, which should have been a clue with guides.

You pass through a few communities, but aside from restaurants, but no refueling points after Kula. It rained and rained. Finally, you reach the ranger station, cold and wet with eleven miles to go, and the rangers still charge you even though you're on a bike. By that time, you're about seven or seven thousand five hundred feet. Now the terrain is actually an easier climb, but my knees hurt a bit from being on a twenty three TT bike. Thankfully the wife and I went leisurely up the hill about eight to nine miles per hour with some slower than that and some faster. The closer one gets to the top of the crater, the colder it got. We had loads of downhillers clapping at us, but by the time we're at the top, we had zero visibility. So the vista we came to see was for naught. It was cold, almost snowing.

The west side has beautiful vistas, with lots of rolling hills. It devolves into a scary one lane, but lightly traveled. The best ride because you get some fun little climbs but great scenary. We just did thirty or so miles on these days.

Cycling in Maui is dangerous but fun. Questions?

Thanks. How did you ship your bikes? WHich airlines and did you have to pay extra?

Archaea 11-28-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 46251)
Thanks. How did you ship your bikes? WHich airlines and did you have to pay extra?

We broke them down into carrying cases and flew with US Air/American West. It cost too much but once you're accustomed to your bike, if you don't have to rent, it's worth it.

creekster 11-28-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 46269)
We broke them down into carrying cases and flew with US Air/American West. It cost too much but once you're accustomed to your bike, if you don't have to rent, it's worth it.

Do they have S&S couplers or are they cases for a full sized frame?

bluegoose 11-28-2006 03:18 PM

A friend of mine goes with his family every may to Maui for a week. He originally took his whole bike, but eventually got too lazy and started only taking his own seat and post. It worked okay for him. I believe he does the same ride that Arch did last week. Sounds like a good time, despite the weather.

It also sounds like creekster is planning another vacation???

bluegoose 11-28-2006 03:20 PM

btw, have you seen the Richey breakaway bikes? A couple of my buddies here have them. They get small enough to fit into a large suitcase, basically the size of the main frame triangle. And from what I understand they are solid enough to put some quality miles on. One guy has even raced on his.

Archaea 11-28-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 46282)
Do they have S&S couplers or are they cases for a full sized frame?

We do have to break the bike down, but you put frame and head set on one side and wheels on other side. I don't know what that other stuff is. I have found a new box into which one can insert one's bike assembled. I might purchase one of those soon.

Yes Goose, Creekster is planning on showing me how a real man rides by showing up for the Las Vegas Bowl with his bike.

creekster 11-28-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 46284)
btw, have you seen the Richey breakaway bikes? A couple of my buddies here have them. They get small enough to fit into a large suitcase, basically the size of the main frame triangle. And from what I understand they are solid enough to put some quality miles on. One guy has even raced on his.

I don't know the Richey breakaway frame. How does it break away?

Out triple has S&S couplers, whcich work very well. The triple will break down into two suticases for travel. I like the approach so much I have considered getting a single witht he couplers just for travel.

Of course, given that I am about to start a decade of kids in college I may never go on another vacation again.