cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Asparagus (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18251)

YOhio 04-04-2008 02:09 AM

Asparagus

Delicious vegetable, but boy does it do a number on the smell of urine. Wow!

marsupial 04-04-2008 03:08 AM

I love asparagus too. And actually I recently read that asparagus doesn't cause smelly pee in everyone.

Quote:

Asparagus is filled with sulfur-containing amino acids that break down during digestion into six sulfur-containing compounds. These can impart a unique smell to urine as they are excreted. "It's the same sulfur group that makes skunks smell," said Barbara Hodges, a dietician with Boston University's nutrition clinic, the Evans Nutrition Group.

Scientists remain divided on why people have different urinary responses to eating asparagus. One camp thinks only about half of the population have a gene enabling us to break down the sulfurous amino acids in asparagus into their smellier components. Others think that everyone digests asparagus the same way, but only about half of us have a gene that enables us to smell the specific compounds formed in the digestion of asparagus.
I'm in the smelly pee group :)

il Padrino Ute 04-04-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 204901)

A neighbor kid had a science project based on this. The kid took two unlabeled jars of urine to school and had people try to guess which one he acquired after eating asparagus. He also had a chart that explained why it was that way, but none of the other kids cared about why - they just thought it was cool that this kid had two jars full of pee.

landpoke 04-07-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 204918)
they just thought it was cool that this kid had two jars full of pee.

That's not just cool, that's Miles Davis cool.

hyrum 04-07-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 204918)
A neighbor kid had a science project based on this. The kid took two unlabeled jars of urine to school and had people try to guess which one he acquired after eating asparagus. He also had a chart that explained why it was that way, but none of the other kids cared about why - they just thought it was cool that this kid had two jars full of pee.

Maybe a kid could train a dog to identify the one from the asparagus eater.

Venkman 04-07-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Same with Sugar Smacks cereal , delicious but your pee smells like sugar smacks.

nikuman 04-09-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Apparently (I have read) bad tasting semen as well.

I am in the not-bad-smelling pee group. I don't know about the other.