cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So Jamie Hill is the new Secondary Coach (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633)

TheSizzle36 03-17-2006 08:56 PM

So Jamie Hill is the new Secondary Coach

And BYU is going to a 3-4. A wise move, IMO (the switch to the 3-4).

I don't know much about Jamie Hill, but he looks like he'll be intense, something that I think a BYU coach needs to be to instill more intensity.

I'll be interested to see how things work with a more conventional 3-4, although I really don't know that there will be much difference, just less blitzing from the secondary. I do like that though, let them focus on covering instead of worrying about blitzing.

Also, with the 3-4, it should allow us to put Jensen, Stafieri, Kehl and Wagner on the field together. Those 2 of those 4 are more impact players than anybody we have in our secondary easily, and I think that Kehl could be a pleasent surprise this season.

mpfunk 03-17-2006 09:53 PM

As long as BYU sucks at defense, I'm fine with either a 3-4 or a 3-3-5.

TheSizzle36 03-17-2006 10:12 PM

I don't care what defense we run...

I don't care what defense we run as long as we win games. If we have no defense and win, I'm okay with that. I'm also okay if we win every game this season 2-0.

mpfunk 03-17-2006 10:50 PM

Re: I don't care what defense we run...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
I don't care what defense we run as long as we win games. If we have no defense and win, I'm okay with that. I'm also okay if we win every game this season 2-0.

That is because you are a BYU fan and not a zoobie. If you were a zoobie you would only want to win by throwing the ball for 400 yards a game, and winning by a minimum of 20 points.

bluegoose 03-18-2006 12:30 AM

Why don't I know that name? Should I? I read the bio available on the BYU website and see no apparent connection to BYU, former BYU players or the LDS church, not that it matters a whole lot. Did he just make himself known through the selction process and somehow impress BM and others?

realtall 03-18-2006 01:02 AM

To run the 3-4, a team needs lots of linebackers with speed. I hope that BYU is equipped.

il Padrino Ute 03-18-2006 01:08 AM

Well, I was hoping Mendenhall would stick to the 3-3-5, as it's been fun for me to watch it the last few years.

The decision to go to the 3-4 is a surprise. My sources told me he was considering the 3-2-1-2-3.

SteelBlue 03-18-2006 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk
As long as BYU sucks at defense, I'm fine with either a 3-4 or a 3-3-5.

LOL.

TheSizzle36 03-18-2006 09:41 PM

The only apparent connection is through Grimes, when Hill was a graduate assistant there and Grimes was a player in 1988-1990ish (I can't remember which).

Other than that, his resume is impressive enough and the thing I like a lot is his connection to the JC ranks. I think Bronco realizes that white RM corners most likely won't cut it, so they'll most likely need 1 or 2 AA JC corners to be competetive defensively. In college being a great recruiter is almost as important to being as great coach. So we'll see how the guys he gets in here do.

SoCalCoug 03-19-2006 02:41 AM

When is the last time we brought in a coach with 20+ years of coaching experience anywhere? With several years coaching on the professional level?