cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Neal Andersen (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25769)

MikeWaters 04-04-2009 06:40 PM

Neal Andersen

Harvard MBA
Stake President
Mission President
Quorum of the Seventy for 16 years
Presidency of the Seventy

Clearly a well-known quantity to the other apostles.

tooblue 04-04-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 303007)
Harvard MBA
Stake President
Mission President
Quorum of the Seventy for 16 years
Presidency of the Seventy

Clearly a well-known quantity to the other apostles.

A simple farm boy from Idaho with no relation to any other member of the twelve as far as I know.

fusnik11 04-04-2009 07:43 PM

Another white, highly educated, blah, blah, blah....I think the church does itself a disservice by going to the same barrel. I'm sure Elder Andersen is a great person and highly qualified, but if our church truly is international, why does the leadership primarily come from Idaho and Utah? 11 come from Idaho and Utah and 14 of the 15 were educated in the beehive state.

This got me thinking, if Joseph Smith was the prophet today, do you think he'd call essentially the same person over and over to the quorum?

I think he'd spice it up a bit, add a black dude, a latino, maybe even an inactive.

tooblue 04-04-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 303009)
Another white, highly educated, blah, blah, blah....I think the church does itself a disservice by going to the same barrel. I'm sure Elder Andersen is a great person and highly qualified, but if our church truly is international, why does the leadership primarily come from Idaho and Utah? 11 come from Idaho and Utah and 14 of the 15 were educated in the beehive state.

This got me thinking, if Joseph Smith was the prophet today, do you think he'd call essentially the same person over and over to the quorum?

I think he'd spice it up a bit, add a black dude, a latino, maybe even an inactive.

He's not prophet today.

ute4ever 04-04-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

During his press conference he was asked a similar question, and pointed out that when he was called to be a GA there were 9 minorities, and today there are 25.

Only time will tell whether the 1Q70 continues to be their glass ceiling.

SeattleUte 04-05-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Another white, highly educated, blah, blah, blah...

Don't confuse Harvard MBA with highly educated. Not the same thing.

il Padrino Ute 04-05-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 303012)
Don't confuse Harvard MBA with highly educated. Not the same thing.

Kind of like confusing highly educated with a law degree from Georgetown, eh?

MikeWaters 04-05-2009 03:19 AM

Well, we won't be happy until we get a head-scratcher for an apostle.

Archaea 04-05-2009 03:36 AM

Well, this administration has demonstrated, it will go with the safe choice, safe in terms of a known commodity.

And for us non-GA's, what does it matter?

Apostles administer the daily affairs of the upper management concerns, give "feel-good" talks and teach lower GA's and stake presidents, how to do their jobs. They serve no real purpose for most of us.

So as long as the local membership has a local feel to its leadership, that's what matters really. The upper management will do what's best for them, and we members on the ground will deal with our own kind.

SeattleUte 04-05-2009 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 303013)
Kind of like confusing highly educated with a law degree from Georgetown, eh?

Agreed.