cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "The Spirit has been present here today." (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18498)

MikeWaters 04-14-2008 06:04 PM

"The Spirit has been present here today."

Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.

Spaz 04-14-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 208474)
Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.

I've considered this before as well. Hopefully, few will consider themselves lesser people because they failed to feel the spirit.

Personally (and I know I'm unusual in many respects), if I don't feel the spirit when someone else claims to have, I assume I either didn't have the capability of feeling it or that the spirit didn't need to make itself known to me.

Indy Coug 04-14-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what the difference is. If you say you felt the Spirit, it is obvious you are implying that that Spirit has been here.

MikeWaters 04-14-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 208482)
I'm not sure what the difference is. If you say you felt the Spirit, it is obvious you are implying that that Spirit has been here.

Yes, I suspected some people would feel the two statements are synonymous.

livecoug 04-14-2008 06:19 PM

I actually agree with you Mike.

SoCalCoug 04-14-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Especially if it's followed with, "and I see it standing right next to Johnny."

BYU71 04-14-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

They shouldn't feel they can't get it. They should realize they are screwing up in ways their peers who felt the spirit aren't. They need to rededicate themselves and find out how they are screwing up.

Telling somone you didn't feel the spirit is a cop out and could hurt someone elses testimony. There is an old saying, "fake it until you make it."

FMCoug 04-14-2008 06:32 PM

Consider this

To keep it simple, lets just take Sacrament meetings. I think it's fair to say (for believing LDS) that the Spirit will always be present in a Sacrament meeting. He has been invited, a sacred ordinance is taking place, absolutely He would be there.

This does not mean that everybody present will feel it. I think there are 3 reasons this could be the case, in no particular order.

1. Lack or worthiness. Although I think this is MUCH less prevalent than some would have you believe.

2. Lack of preparedness. If you're not receptive to it (stressed out distracted, surfing the net, etc.) your'e not going to feel it.

3. Lack of need. I think spiritual manifestations occur on an "as needed" basis. Perhaps you don't need strenghtening right now. You're on the right course, doing the right things, and/or it's just a time when He wants you to figure it out on your own.

Spaz 04-14-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 208485)
Yes, I suspected some people would feel the two statements are synonymous.

In fairness, the two statements are synonymous.

The one is certainly more empathetic to those who may not have felt the spirit.

SeattleUte 04-14-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Well done, Mike. This is actually a very subtle and deft effort to gerenate a 2,000 hit, 15 page thread. But I think I'll pass on this one. I'm going to let that tantalyzing lure go flashing on through and not strike.