cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vegas futures odds out for the season (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20966)

CardiacCoug 07-16-2008 04:39 AM

Vegas futures odds out for the season

For all the hype BYU is getting, we're still 60/1 to win the National Championship (same as UCLA and Oregon), over/under is 9 wins for the season.

I think that's realistic. A lot of things have to work out for a team like BYU to get to the National Championship game and then win it.

UNLV is at 1000/1. That seems pretty generous.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../odds/futures/

TripletDaddy 07-16-2008 04:59 AM

I'll take the over on BYU and screw VegasInsider for lumping us in with FUCLA, who has a decimated O-line, no QB, and a brand new Coach and O-Coordinator. Seriously, what is up with that?

Talk about no respect.

I hate to get my BYU paranoia on so early in the season, but these voters don't subscribe to the Santos Power rankings. The second we lose one game, our rank drops like a stone and we are booking December hotel rooms in Vegas all over again.

Surfah 07-16-2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 243026)
I hate to get my BYU paranoia on so early in the season, but these voters don't subscribe to the Santos Power rankings. The second we lose one game, our rank drops like a stone and we are booking December hotel rooms in Vegas all over again.

Ain't that the truth. This is a special and rare opportunity, hopefully Bronco gets these boys to recognize this and capitalize.

Mars 07-16-2008 09:57 AM

I think BYU winning more than 9 games is a good bet.

ERCougar 07-16-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 243026)
I'll take the over on BYU and screw VegasInsider for lumping us in with FUCLA, who has a decimated O-line, no QB, and a brand new Coach and O-Coordinator. Seriously, what is up with that?

Talk about no respect.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic here, but I'll bite anyway.
They're not saying that BYU is no better than UCLA/Oregon. They're just saying that the chances that:
1) BYU goes undefeated (possible)
AND
2) BYU gets invited to the championship game (here's the catch)
AND
3) BYU wins the game

are about the same as UCLA or Oregon winning the championship. I'm not sure I can argue with that.

BYU71 07-16-2008 01:44 PM

A few weeks ago I picked BYU to go 9-3. That was my head picking. Naturally my heart and hopes are that they will go 12-0.

If I were forced to bet the over or under, I would go with the over.

Spaz 07-16-2008 07:31 PM

Vegas is right far more than they're wrong.

They're obviously putting the first 8 wins on the MWC teams outside of TCU & Utah, plus NIU & USU. To be honest, I think an awful lot of BCS teams would win all 8 of those games.

They're also saying that out of UCLA, WA, TCU & Utah, BYU will likely win one game.

I'd say it's pretty likely BYU will win two of those four, and there's a decent chance they'll win all four.

TripletDaddy 07-16-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 243051)
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic here, but I'll bite anyway.
They're not saying that BYU is no better than UCLA/Oregon. They're just saying that the chances that:
1) BYU goes undefeated (possible)
AND
2) BYU gets invited to the championship game (here's the catch)
AND
3) BYU wins the game

are about the same as UCLA or Oregon winning the championship. I'm not sure I can argue with that.

You think the chances of BYU and FUCLA going undefeated are about the same? Because that is what would have to happen for either of them to even be eligible for the NC game.

The fact that we are a pre-season top 20 pick with a squad of legitimate starters and we still get lumped in with Pac-10 cellar dwellars who dont even have an original fight song, colors, or mascot shows me again that we get little respect.

I wont lose much sleep over it because I dont expect us to win the NC, either. But given our team and our relatively easier path to the NC game, I would say that we have much better odds than FUCLA to win it.

This is probably why I am not an oddsmaker. Too emotional.

Indy Coug 07-17-2008 12:53 PM

I'm not an undefeated bandwagon guy, but I'm jumping all over the over side of 9 wins. The only way we don't hit that mark is if Max Hall goes down early for the season.

jay santos 07-17-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 243353)
You think the chances of BYU and FUCLA going undefeated are about the same? Because that is what would have to happen for either of them to even be eligible for the NC game.

The fact that we are a pre-season top 20 pick with a squad of legitimate starters and we still get lumped in with Pac-10 cellar dwellars who dont even have an original fight song, colors, or mascot shows me again that we get little respect.

I wont lose much sleep over it because I dont expect us to win the NC, either. But given our team and our relatively easier path to the NC game, I would say that we have much better odds than FUCLA to win it.

This is probably why I am not an oddsmaker. Too emotional.

DDD, please stop using the word "we" referring to BYU. You're a Trojan not a Cougar, sorry.