cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Where was this BYU team? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29955)

Archaea 02-26-2017 04:18 AM

Where was this BYU team?

This is a curious team.

MikeWaters 02-26-2017 01:04 PM

their defense was much better. Kaufusi did some good stuff. Haws hit some 3s.
Mika was huge. Bryant had some big moments in the 2nd half (like rebounding).

BYU was able to get through 2nd half fatigue by slowing things down on offense (like Wisconsin of past).

Archaea 02-27-2017 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322964)
their defense was much better. Kaufusi did some good stuff. Haws hit some 3s.
Mika was huge. Bryant had some big moments in the 2nd half (like rebounding).

BYU was able to get through 2nd half fatigue by slowing things down on offense (like Wisconsin of past).

I thought with this team a half court offense would be wiser, but the coaches didn't agree until yesterday.

BlueK 02-27-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322963)
This is a curious team.

Freshmen and sophomores. The last time we had a team this inexperienced we won one game all season.

BlueK 02-27-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322965)
I thought with this team a half court offense would be wiser, but the coaches didn't agree until yesterday.

We have had mostly a halfcourt offense all season. The difference against Gonzaga is that we held the ball for at least ten seconds before starting to go into the offense. We still were a high possessions per game team this year but that was because we were shooting quickly out of our halfcourt offense. But you're right that taking some time off on every possession seemed to work better. Not sure how it translates into playing St. Mary's since that is their game.

Archaea 02-27-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322966)
Freshmen and sophomores. The last time we had a team this inexperienced we won one game all season.

That team had no talent.

BlueK 02-27-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322968)
That team had no talent.

This team won 20 more games though. My point is there is no reliable gauge for how a BYU team with no upperclasmen is supposed to do. All comparisons you can make to other BYU teams have to be made to teams with more experience.

But these teams are ranked below BYU on the rpi today and have at least as much talent. They also aren't as inexperienced as BYU.

Ohio State
Syracuse
Texas A&M
Indiana
Georgetown

ChinoCoug 02-28-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322969)
This team won 20 more games though. My point is there is no reliable gauge for how a BYU team with no upperclasmen is supposed to do. All comparisons you can make to other BYU teams have to be made to teams with more experience.

But these teams are ranked below BYU on the rpi today and have at least as much talent. They also aren't as inexperienced as BYU.

Ohio State
Syracuse
Texas A&M
Indiana
Georgetown

Tell me you didn't just cite RPI...

BlueK 02-28-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322971)
Tell me you didn't just cite RPI...

by the end of the season they all end up looking roughly the same anyway, despite the rpi's flaws.

We can run this same exercise with pomeroy:
Iowa
Pittsburgh
Texas
Memphis
UConn

ChinoCoug 02-28-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322972)
by the end of the season they all end up looking roughly the same anyway, despite the rpi's flaws.

We can run this same exercise with pomeroy:
Iowa
Pittsburgh
Texas
Memphis
UConn

That's better.