cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best "new" rock band in last 10 years? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13920)

NorCal Cat 11-15-2007 02:26 AM

Best "new" rock band in last 10 years?

Foo Fighters has to be my pick for best rock band in the last 10 years. This is just a great band. They keep coming out with solid album after solid album. I love their style. It's melodic, but not soft at all, and hard/fast enough also.

I am open for other suggestions, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of another band that has had the staying power of FF, and also matches almost perfectly the style of rock I like.

TripletDaddy 11-15-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 150721)
Foo Fighters has to be my pick for best rock band in the last 10 years. This is just a great band. They keep coming out with solid album after solid album. I love their style. It's melodic, but not soft at all, and hard/fast enough also.

I am open for other suggestions, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of another band that has had the staying power of FF, and also matches almost perfectly the style of rock I like.

Do you mean best stuff a band has put out over the past ten years or best band that has started in the last 10 years?

Foo Fighters released their first disc over 10 years ago. It was like 95 or so because I was still an undergrad.

They were good on SNL this past weekend. Did you see them?

il Padrino Ute 11-15-2007 02:34 AM

I stand firm in my belief that very few good songs have been written after 1988.

NorCal Cat 11-15-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 150724)
Do you mean best stuff a band has put out over the past ten years or best band that has started in the last 10 years?

Foo Fighters released their first disc over 10 years ago. It was like 95 or so because I was still an undergrad.

They were good on SNL this past weekend. Did you see them?

I mean best band that has started in the last 10 years ("new" band). I thought FF started 10 years ago, but if it is a year or two more than let's say best new band since FF started. :)

Crap! They were on SNL? I'll have to look for it on you tube. I'm definitely going to see them next time they tour. They have a SO MANY really good songs.

TripletDaddy 11-15-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 150726)
I stand firm in my belief that very few good songs have been written after 1988.

Of course, one exception would be "more than words" by extreme. it was released not too long after 88.

NorCal Cat 11-15-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 150726)

Have you heard much Foo Fighters? Listen to this song, it's one of my favorites. I don't know how anyone cannot like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_p1A7WVNs

TripletDaddy 11-15-2007 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 150729)
I mean best band that has started in the last 10 years ("new" band). I thought FF started 10 years ago, but if it is a year or two more than let's say best new band since FF started. :)

Crap! They were on SNL? I'll have to look for it on you tube. I'm definitely going to see them next time they tour. They have a SO MANY really good songs.

Bon Jovi hosted and did 2 annoying songs.

FF were the musical guests and unfortunately needed to perform more than they actually did. for whatever reason, they only did 1 song (The Pretender), while Bon Jovi, not the musical guest, did 2 with his band.

FF also appeared in Andy Samberg's rad digital short about people getting punched in the face right before they eat something.

woot 11-15-2007 02:54 AM

That was a great digital short. It seems like those shorts are the only decent things coming out of SNL these days, and since they always show up online, there doesn't seem to be any reason to watch it anymore.

So TD who are your favorite bands of the last 10 years? We've discussed how I've fallen out of the music scene and don't really have a decent way of discovering new bands, but are there any to discover?

il Padrino Ute 11-15-2007 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 150730)
Of course, one exception would be "more than words" by extreme. it was released not too long after 88.

Please tell me you're kidding.

il Padrino Ute 11-15-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 150732)
Have you heard much Foo Fighters? Listen to this song, it's one of my favorites. I don't know how anyone cannot like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_p1A7WVNs

I like a few songs by Foo Fighters. I like "Learn to Fly" and "Everlong" is good.

I don't like the song in you link at all. It just doesn't do it for me.