cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Favorite Obscure Movies. . . (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172)

non sequitur 01-20-2006 04:25 PM

Favorite Obscure Movies. . .

What is your list of favorite movies that never enjoyed great commercial success or that most people you talk with have never seen (foriegn films don't count). Here is my list:

1. Harold and Maude
2. Phantom of the Paradise
3. The House of Games
4. The Lost Boys
5. The Spanish Prisoner
6. American Splendor
7. Big Trouble
8. The Hudsucker Proxy
9. Donnie Darko
10.Dazed and Confused

Jeff Lebowski 01-20-2006 04:30 PM

One of my favorites is "The Cat's Eye". That first segment about the ex-mafia guys who started a company to help folks quit smoking is a classic.

DirtyHippieUTE 01-20-2006 04:35 PM

The Red Violin
El Norte
Abre sus Ojos (original version of Vanilla Sky in Spanish).
Clue
Club Paradise

non sequitur 01-20-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeboy
One of my favorites is "The Cat's Eye". That first segment about the ex-mafia guys who started a company to help folks quit smoking is a classic.

I loved Cat's Eye. I think it was one of the first movies I saw James Woods in.

Mormon Red Death 01-20-2006 05:30 PM

Four days in september... The best Brazilian movie of all time and perhaps the best foreign film ever made.

How can you people forget "Waiting for Guffman" that movie is hilarious!!!

SeattleUte 01-20-2006 05:32 PM

Re: Favorite Obscure Movies. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur
What is your list of favorite movies that never enjoyed great commercial success or that most people you talk with have never seen (foriegn films don't count). Here is my list:

1. Harold and Maude
2. Phantom of the Paradise
3. The House of Games
4. The Lost Boys
5. The Spanish Prisoner
6. American Splendor
7. Big Trouble
8. The Hudsucker Proxy
9. Donnie Darko
10.Dazed and Confused

Ran, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original; greatest horror movie ever), Brazil, Oh Lucky Man, Memento, The Return of Martin Gehre (French version), Last Tango in Paris, Aguire the Wrath of God, the Vanishing (Dutch Version; scariest film ever), The Seven Samarai, The Producers (original Mel Brooks version), Diner, Dirty Harry, many many more.

ute4ever 01-20-2006 05:37 PM

El Mariachi

tooblue 01-20-2006 06:03 PM

Strictly ballroom
La gloire de mon Pere
Le chateau de ma Mere
Le Grand Bleu (the Big Blue)
Kelly's Heros
Wierd Science
The Thing, both the original and the Kurt Russel remake

... just for starters

non sequitur 01-20-2006 09:16 PM

Re: Favorite Obscure Movies. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Ran, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original; greatest horror movie ever), Brazil, Oh Lucky Man, Memento, The Return of Martin Gehre (French version), Last Tango in Paris, Aguire the Wrath of God, the Vanishing (Dutch Version; scariest film ever), The Seven Samarai, The Producers (original Mel Brooks version), Diner, Dirty Harry, many many more.

I should have definitely included Diner on my list, easily one of the funniest movies I have every seen. My favorite scenes: Paul Reiser trying to mooch a bite of Steve Guttenberg's sandwich, and Mickey Rourke with the box of popcorn. My favorite line: "What f***ing Chisolm trail?" That movie is a classic.

creekster 01-20-2006 09:28 PM

Man Facing Southeast.

The climactic scene where the asylum inmates go wild accompanied by the full chorale version of Beethoven's Ode to Joy from the Ninth is one of my all-time favorites.