cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why are there so many damn (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21664)

jay santos 08-19-2008 03:58 AM

Why are there so many damn

events in swimming?

If they had 50 basketball events, Lebron would win at least eight.

Michael Phelps...who cares.

myboynoah 08-19-2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 254203)
events in swimming?

If they had 50 basketball events, Lebron would win at least eight.

Michael Phelps...who cares.

You'll be getting a knock on your door at about 3:14 am tomorrow morning. I suggest you pack you bags.

MikeWaters 08-19-2008 04:19 AM

Boy am I sick of Michael Phelps. The "move over Mark Spitz" line was especially distasteful.

Please no more specials about Phelps.

Archaea 08-19-2008 04:22 AM

We get inundated every day and year with NFL and NBA, but a once in a three generation athlete comes along for his once every four year day in the light, and everybody's crying overexposure.

Americans are wimps when it comes to judging true sport. Go ahead drink you damn cheap beer and watch you f...ing baseball and basketball.

MikeWaters 08-19-2008 04:23 AM

btw, it was the announcer who said "move over" not Phelps himself.

Spitz was very gracious and articulate about Phelps. Phelps was nice to Spitz, but inarticulate. Spitz appears to be very intelligent. Phelps, not so much. But a good swimmer.

myboynoah 08-19-2008 04:24 AM

I've loved how on several occasions the commentators have peppered Phelps with questions, trying to draw out some answer that will put in all into perspective. It's as if they are thinking, "Damn, he just did this amazing thing. He must also be some kind of new age philospher as well. Please Mike, give us the secrets to the universe."

Phelps responds with answers you would expect from a 20-something. A nation mourns.

MikeWaters 08-19-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 254213)
We get inundated every day and year with NFL and NBA, but a once in a three generation athlete comes along for his once every four year day in the light, and everybody's crying overexposure.

Americans are wimps when it comes to judging true sport. Go ahead drink you damn cheap beer and watch you f...ing baseball and basketball.

swimming has to be the easiest sport in the world to get a medal. They are competing against a truly TINY, TINY pool of people.

When I heard that my friend's sister had a shot at the olympics, I knew it was a joke. My friend has horrible athletic genes.

I'm thinking for this very reason I might get my kids into swimming. Best shot at "best athlete ever." LOL.

myboynoah 08-19-2008 04:27 AM

I think I would target trampolin if one was looking for a favorably small pool of people against which to compete.

TripletDaddy 08-19-2008 04:40 AM

I am not tired of Phelps at all. I am happy to soak up the Phelps stuff. He has done an amazing thing this week.

Move over, Spitz, indeed. In fact, get completely out of the way because you are now history.

As for criticizing the questions that ask him to put it into perspective....What else are they supposed to ask him?

Spitz is also a bit jealous of Phelps, I would guess...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

YOhio 08-19-2008 04:46 AM

I think there should be more swimming events. Freestyle diving board stuff, like the cannonball and jackknife. Another where every Olympic swimmer goes into the pool and they have to tread water for as long as they can. It could be an all-day event shown in PIP. Make them do the Swimming (Lifesaving?) merit badge requirement where you have to jump in the pool fully clothed and make a lifejacket out of your pants.