cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   $150,000 on clothes....just like the rest of us (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23899)

TripletDaddy 10-22-2008 05:33 PM

$150,000 on clothes....just like the rest of us

I find this story interesting.....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

Palin spending about $150K on clothes since August, all on the RNC dime....at high brow places like Needless Markup and SFA.

Hardly fits in with her phony Joe Six Pack persona she wants everyone to embrace.

How many hockey moms spend that kind of scratch in a year, let alone 8 weeks?

The truth is, you can't really blame her faulty intellect on her backwoods existence when she is shopping at some of the finest retailers in the country. She can't even be a hick without messing that up, too.

BarbaraGordon 10-22-2008 05:36 PM

yeah, I posted this yesterday and didn't get any bites.

You can probably buy a couple of houses in Wasilla for that kind of dough.

BYU71 10-22-2008 05:43 PM

We might have a chance. If this is the stuff that you guys are having to hang onto now to discredit her.

TripletDaddy 10-22-2008 05:44 PM

The media freaked out over John Edwards paying $400 for a haircut.

This seems to be worse.

The $400 was his own money.

This is Sarah taking political funds and going on a shopping spree for her and her family.

It is also a huge political miscalculation. How powerful would it have been for her to buy her clothes and a local mom and pop or maybe even target? That would be something everyone could relate to. By going to Ne-Ma and dropping $40K or whatever it was, she shows that she is out of touch with the only thing that she had going for herself.....Main Street USA appeal.

TripletDaddy 10-22-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 282906)
We might have a chance. If this is the stuff that you guys are having to hang onto now to discredit her.

I dont think it makes her a bad person. heck, I'd take the free clothes, too.

I am pointing to it as yet another political blunder on her part....or at least the part of her advisors.

Based on your non-response to the issue, I take it that you really have no defense for her egregious behavior? It would be interesting to hear how Repubs can spin this one to make it seem ok.

BarbaraGordon 10-22-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 282906)

We're long past discrediting, 71. We didn't ever have to. She imploded on her own, in more spectacular form than even the most critical among us could have hoped.

However, if you'd like us to explain all the ways in which she's not a conservative, or a maverick, or a special needs advocate, or a feminist, or whatever else, we're able to do that as well.

myboynoah 10-22-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 282898)
yeah, I posted this yesterday and didn't get any bites.

You can probably buy a couple of houses in Wasilla for that kind of dough.

No you can't. Have you priced housing in Alaska?

If true, huge blunder by her and her advisors. What was she (were they) thinking?

I'm just curious how one can spend that much on clothes. I've watched "What not to Wear" on occasion and get freaked out when they hand people $5000 for shopping.

Can we now get a clothing budget for Obama and Biden as well?

BarbaraGordon 10-22-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 282908)
I am pointing to it as yet another political blunder on her part....or at least the part of her advisors.

Absolutely. The only thing left that we *couldn't* argue with was that she's solidly middle class. Now she's blowing that on her own, too. Her clothing is worth 3 years' salary of the voters she's supposed to appeal to.

BarbaraGordon 10-22-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 282910)
No you can't. Have you priced housing in Alaska?

If true, huge blunder by her and her advisors. What was she (were they) thinking?

No, I haven't. In that case, I change my answer. You could buy four houses in Oklahoma.

And there's no reason to think this is not true. The McCain staff released the numbers of their own accord.

Archaea 10-22-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 282912)
No, I haven't. In that case, I change my answer. You could by four houses in Oklahoma.

And there's no reason to think this is not true. The McCain staff released the numbers of their own accord.

I don't know what to make of the figures, but I wager every single candidate has similar experiences, including Obama. Remember the OJ trial, one of the expenses the DA charged was 90,000 in clothing and make up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michelle and Barry with similar contributions to their wardrobe.