cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   UFC 73 Stacked! (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9751)

cougjunkie 07-07-2007 11:59 PM

UFC 73 Stacked!

starts in about 2 hours. If any Cougarguarders are interested we will be having a few people over at my house in Lehi.

My predictions:

Sean Sherk over Hermes Franca
Tito Ortiz over Rashad Evans
Nate Marquardt upsets Anderson Silva
Nogueria over Herring
Kenny Florian over Alvin Robinson
Stephan Bonner over Mike Nickels

One of the best cards ever, dont miss it.

SteelBlue 07-08-2007 12:03 AM

I'd love to come by, but it's an 11 hour drive, so I'll have to pass. I'm looking forward to your summary though.

As an aside, one thing I wish that UFC would stop doing is giving the programs names like "Stacked". It smacks of professional wrestling.

il Padrino Ute 07-08-2007 12:08 AM

Wasn't there a tv show with Pamela Playmate called Stacked?

cougjunkie 07-08-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 98717)
I'd love to come by, but it's an 11 hour drive, so I'll have to pass. I'm looking forward to your summary though.

As an aside, one thing I wish that UFC would stop doing is giving the programs names like "Stacked". It smacks of professional wrestling.

I agree with that, i also hate how we are on UFC 73, that reminds me of Wrestlmania XXXXXXXXXXIV

whats 11 hours? i have Tivo i can wait to start it until you get here :)

mpfunk 07-08-2007 01:01 AM

I don't understand the appeal of UFC, when I have watched it has been rather boring. I remember about 45 minutes of taking about the fight, and about 1 minute of a fight.

Give me a good boxing match any day over UFC.

il Padrino Ute 07-08-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 98728)
I don't understand the appeal of UFC, when I have watched it has been rather boring. I remember about 45 minutes of taking about the fight, and about 1 minute of a fight.

Amen, brother.

Surfah 07-08-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 98728)

I have been far more disappointed with boxing matches I have purchased via pay-per-view than I have ever been with and UFC event I have purchased. This isn't even close. Pay-per-view has killed boxing. Friday Night Fights with crappy cards on ESPN doesn't cut it. Rather UFC has promoted their sport well with Spike TV and other outlets where you can watch great fights for free, ie. Pulver vs. Penn two weeks ago. This coming from a huge boxing fan. I don't see why more people can't let the two sports coexist without one being better than the other.

Surfah 07-08-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 98716)
starts in about 2 hours. If any Cougarguarders are interested we will be having a few people over at my house in Lehi.

My predictions:

Sean Sherk over Hermes Franca
Tito Ortiz over Rashad Evans
Nate Marquardt upsets Anderson Silva
Nogueria over Herring
Kenny Florian over Alvin Robinson
Stephan Bonner over Mike Nickels

One of the best cards ever, dont miss it.

I like all your picks except Silva. I think Silva wins in a close fight though I like Marquardt and would rather see him win. I just hate Silva's little Honky Tonk Man dance after each victory.

I hope Tito beats Evans though. Tito has been tough of late. He's been training with one of my cousin's best friends, a wrestler at CS-Fullerton where my cousin wrestles too. He's been working out of De La Hoya's home and training facility in Big Bear.

il Padrino Ute 07-08-2007 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 98730)
I have been far more disappointed with boxing matches I have purchased via pay-per-view than I have ever been with and UFC event I have purchased. This isn't even close. Pay-per-view has killed boxing. Friday Night Fights with crappy cards on ESPN doesn't cut it. Rather UFC has promoted their sport well with Spike TV and other outlets where you can watch great fights for free, ie. Pulver vs. Penn two weeks ago. This coming from a huge boxing fan. I don't see why more people can't let the two sports coexist without one being better than the other.

I think the reason I prefer boxing is because of my age. I was a kid when Ali was still in his prime and Ken Norton, George Foreman and Joe Frazier were big names; in junior high and high school when guys like Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Leon Spinks were big; and in my early 20s when Tyson dominated the ring before Don King ruined him.

The influence those names had on me in the sweet science just can't be matched by any UFC guys. I don't think I could even name one person in UFC.

cougjunkie 07-08-2007 01:22 AM

If you dont like UFC you better get used to it. Because within the next 5 years it will be bigger than boxing with larger purses and more coverage.