cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Utah blackout commercials....... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24439)

cougjunkie 11-06-2008 02:20 AM

Utah blackout commercials.......

How come at the end of the commercials it says:

"participation is optional."

Just curious why they felt the need to say that.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2008 02:25 AM

Perhaps it's because of people like me that think it's a dumb idea. There is no black in the official school colors.

That said, I'll be there in black. The wife bought us some black hoodies and I'm always happy to increase my Ute wardrobe.

BarbaraGordon 11-06-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 290887)

That's hilarious.

DrumNFeather 11-06-2008 02:39 AM

In a bad economy, we need to be sensitive to those fans who cannot afford a $55 sweat shirt, $24 hat or $35 shirt for one game a year. :)

cougjunkie 11-06-2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 290899)
In a bad economy, we need to be sensitive to those fans who cannot afford a $55 sweat shirt, $24 hat or $35 shirt for one game a year. :)

Do they think people that dont want to spend money on black clothing just wont show up?

Brian 11-06-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 290887)

i haven't seen the commercial, but it has the sense of being a challenge.

"You can be cool, or you can be a dork. The choice is yours."

YOhio 11-06-2008 03:03 AM

The dumbest thing about the blackout is that they're playing a team that uses black as a primary color. There's no intimidation because TCU is used to it. Now if they were playing CSU or Wyoming, then there may be a little more of a mental edge to it all.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 290909)
The dumbest thing about the blackout is that they're playing a team that uses black as a primary color. There's no intimidation because TCU is used to it. Now if they were playing CSU or Wyoming, then there may be a little more of a mental edge to it all.

That's a good point.

I just may wear red now.

YOhio 11-06-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 290919)
That's a good point.

I just may wear red now.

It makes me laugh. It's as if the UU marketing department made a concerted effort to make TCU feel like they're at home.

cougjunkie 11-06-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 290904)
i haven't seen the commercial, but it has the sense of being a challenge.

"You can be cool, or you can be a dork. The choice is yours."

Even at the end of the radio commercial the comes on in a voice completely different from the commercial, similar to the "This film is not yet rated" voice and says: "Participation is optional."

I just found it odd.