cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So BYU has its first recruiting penalty thanks to volleyball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17623)

Archaea 03-12-2008 02:45 PM

So BYU has its first recruiting penalty thanks to volleyball

After reading the Peterson explanation, it sure seems hyper-technical, but the NCAA is a bunch of ninnies.

It kinda reminds me of Majerus cookiegate.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/

DrumNFeather 03-12-2008 02:49 PM

Did I read correctly in the article that the coach resigned as a result?

Archaea 03-12-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 197158)
Did I read correctly in the article that the coach resigned as a result?

Yes, Peterson resigned a year or two ago.

Giving a ride from the airport is a violation? Geeze. Letting a guy room with you is a violation?

Some of those things seem other worldly.

It more seems like UCLA coach Don Scates campaigned against BYU because he couldn't beat them recently on the court.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 197159)
Yes, Peterson resigned a year or two ago.

Giving a ride from the airport is a violation? Geeze. Letting a guy room with you is a violation?

Some of those things seem other worldly.

It more seems like UCLA coach Don Scates campaigned against BYU because he couldn't beat them recently on the court.

Reverend Lovejoy holding a Bible: "...oh just about everything is a sin, have you ever sat down and read this thing? Technically we're not allowed to go to the bathroom."

Same pretty much goes with the 1,100 page NCAA rules and regulations.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 02:56 PM

What, a $17,000 payment from a booster to aid a player is an NCAA violation??? I had no idea!!!

Archaea 03-12-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197162)
What, a $17,000 payment from a booster to aid a player is an NCAA violation??? I had no idea!!!

I didn't quite understand how that came about.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197162)

It wasn't to a player. The aid came with the understanding that the person would not be eligible for collegiate athletics afterwards.

Quote:

"What would any decent person have done?" asks Peterson. "This booster even now believes he did the
right thing for this young man, who later joined the LDS church. The booster told
the young man that if he accepted assistance he would not be able to play
volleyball for BYU.
This defection and assistance given had nothing to do with
the recruitment of a volleyball player."

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197174)
It wasn't to a player. The aid came with the understanding that the person would not be eligible for collegiate athletics afterwards.

This doesn't sound like an obvious violation?

Quote:

This representative also provided approximately $13,000 in impermissible recruiting inducements to another prospective men's volleyball student-athlete after the young man defected from Cuba and while participating with the Cuban National Volleyball Team in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. These impermissible inducements included use of an automobile, clothing and free lodging. The representative also paid approximately $8,000 in legal fees to attorneys assisting with the prospective student-athlete's immigration issues, which were associated with the young man's defection from Cuba. This prospect did not enroll at Brigham Young or at any NCAA member institution.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:31 PM

Well at least BYU can't claim holier-than-thou status anymore. We're in the same boat as OK and SMU now. Of course, we are on the deck, while they are at the bottom of the boat in the muck. But same boat.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197190)
This doesn't sound like an obvious violation?

The NCAA is using the broadest possible definition of a "prospective men's volleyball student-athlete".

Quote:

This prospect did not enroll at Brigham Young or at any NCAA member institution.