cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What is up with Mickelson?!?!!? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7472)

myboynoah 04-05-2007 08:13 PM

What is up with Mickelson?!?!!?

Four birdies, six bogies, and one double.

The guy drives me absolutely nuts.

il Padrino Ute 04-06-2007 12:52 AM

Mickelson is like a streak shooter in basketball; when he's on his game, he is lethal and when he's not, he's awful.

It actually makes me feel better about my game to see him play this way.

DrumNFeather 04-06-2007 11:52 AM

The treatment of Mickelson by the sports media is very interesting to me.

Earlier in his career, Phil was painted as the lovable loser...the guy who you could cheer for because he was a good guy and never quite got over the hump.

Once he won a major, he became a "force" and a "big time player" in golf.

Then, the incident at Wingfoot happened and it is like he's never won a major and now questions are popping up such as: "Will Phil Ever Win another Major?"

Meanwhile, Tiger is back to his dominating ways after a little hiatus and the media is once again back to slurping Tiger and saying that nobody will ever beat him in any tournaments.

As I said, the treatment of Mickelson in particular is a very interesting case study in how the media can manipulate perceptions.

myboynoah 04-06-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 70855)

Earlier in his career, Phil was painted as the lovable loser...the guy who you could cheer for because he was a good guy and never quite got over the hump.

Then, the incident at Wingfoot happened and it is like he's never won a major and now questions are popping up such as: "Will Phil Ever Win another Major?"

Meanwhile, Tiger is back to his dominating ways after a little hiatus and the media is once again back to slurping Tiger and saying that nobody will ever beat him in any tournaments.

As I said, the treatment of Mickelson in particular is a very interesting case study in how the media can manipulate perceptions.

I read the ESPN Mag article on Phil. Very interesting and made Mickelson very likable (at least in my very sympathetic view). His arguement for making the choices he did on the 18th at Wingfoot made a lot of sense to me. He just missed the shots. I love Mickelson, but as I said, he drives me nuts.

As for Tiger, I find myself always pulling against him. The camera follows him around. He could be 6+ shots off the pace on the back nine of the last day and they are still showing him. Tiger's a great story, a real phenom. But I still see him as the ultimate villain.

I guess I'm just a racist against people from Thailand. Either that or I just can't forgive him for his poor showings at Ryder Cups.

DrumNFeather 04-06-2007 12:36 PM

The way Tiger is followed around and worshipped by the media makes him easy to dislike.

I agree with you though, he's a good villain.

Tiger is 3 shots better than Phil on day 1 of the Masters and Tiger just "had a bad round," but Phil, "Isn't over Wingfoot."

cougjunkie 04-06-2007 03:03 PM

See i am the opposite of you guys. I hate Phil i cant stand the guy, he is cocky, makes stupid decisions and has all the ability in the world to contend with Tiger but his pride gets in the way.

Where Tiger has the most talent in the world of any golfer but that doesnt necessarily win him tournaments he is also imo the most mentally tough athlete in the world.

I always pull for Tiger i would love to see him break Jacks record of 18 majors. Tiger is very likeable a media darling, and he is fun to watch.

Archaea 04-06-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 70855)

A client of mine worked for Mickelson. He portrayed Mickelson as a complete arrogant asshole and stated he'd never work for him ever again.

DrumNFeather 04-06-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 70890)
A client of mine worked for Mickelson. He portrayed Mickelson as a complete arrogant asshole and stated he'd never work for him ever again.

That's not overly surprising.

I'm sure that professional golfers aren't the easiest people to work for.

Neither is Larry H. Miller...in case anyone was wondering.

SteelBlue 04-06-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 70882)
See i am the opposite of you guys. I hate Phil i cant stand the guy, he is cocky, makes stupid decisions and has all the ability in the world to contend with Tiger but his pride gets in the way.

Where Tiger has the most talent in the world of any golfer but that doesnt necessarily win him tournaments he is also imo the most mentally tough athlete in the world.

I always pull for Tiger i would love to see him break Jacks record of 18 majors. Tiger is very likeable a media darling, and he is fun to watch.

I feel the same way about Tiger. I don't really hate Phil, but I don't find myself rooting for him. He really should consider eating less and hitting the gym just to show the world that golfers really are athletes. It's hard to take him seriously when he's got a bigger cup size than my wife.

Surfah 04-06-2007 10:57 PM

I love Tiger. I wish I had an ounce of the talent, guts, strength, finesse, and imagination he has to make some of the shots he does. I can understand him as a villain. But I can't. He's too amazing not too watch. I am sure many people get pissed that the camera is always on him. But I guess it's kind of like when ESPN or TNT broadcasts the Charlotte Bobcats vs. Boston Celtics.

Phil drives me nuts too. I tried to like him. But the loveable loser? I never bought into that. He's Roy of Tin Cup without the attitude that made him endearing to me. Instead he has man boobs. I'll also never forgive him for not giving Sister Mickelson a temple marriage.