cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   5 years of internet posting has offered up this interesting observation (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10617)

Indy Coug 08-03-2007 03:47 AM

5 years of internet posting has offered up this interesting observation

If you take issue with someone's opinion, simply because you think the statement is false and/or the reasoning is lacking or faulty, then that person assumes you believe the opposite of what they do.

Once that perception is established, regardless of how frequent or specific you try to articulate your actual views, it all either gets dismissed outright, or inextricably tainted by that faux perception.

Is this some bizarre psychological phenomenon? Is it merely a lazy debating tactic?

While not directly a post about religion, this is one place in particular I notice this happen on a regular basis.

jay santos 08-03-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109341)
If you take issue with someone's opinion, simply because you think the statement is false and/or the reasoning is lacking or faulty, then that person assumes you believe the opposite of what they do.

Once that perception is established, regardless of how frequent or specific you try to articulate your actual views, it all either gets dismissed outright, or inextricably tainted by that faux perception.

Is this some bizarre psychological phenomenon? Is it merely a lazy debating tactic?

While not directly a post about religion, this is one place in particular I notice this happen on a regular basis.

Five years? Come on, man. You're sandbagging. Or did you mean five years of time if you added up all the actual time you spent posting?

Indy Coug 08-03-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 109342)
Five years? Come on, man. You're sandbagging. Or did you mean five years of time if you added up all the actual time you spent posting?

Ok, 5.5 years. I joined Cougarboard in 12/2001.

Jeff Lebowski 08-03-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

I think you should post more. Perhaps your posting history is so sparse that we don't yet have a firm picture of your thought processes and your inclinations.

Indy Coug 08-03-2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 109347)
I think you should post more. Perhaps your posting history is so sparse that we don't yet have a firm picture of your thought processes and your inclinations.

I've come to the conclusion that for you specifically, it would be irrelevant how often I posted. Besides, what I'm pointing out here applies in general and not uniquely to me.

Jeff Lebowski 08-03-2007 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109348)
I've come to the conclusion that for you specifically, it would be irrelevant how often I posted.

Come on, Indy. You have to admit that there is some serious irony going on for you to argue that you are grossly misunderstood after your 15 billion posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109348)
Besides, what I'm pointing out here applies in general and not uniquely to me.

So you are implying that everyone is misunderstood? Or a majority of people?

Indy Coug 08-03-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 109350)
So you are implying that everyone is misunderstood?

No, just ones that will consistently (and usually thoughtfully) disagree with others.

That includes plenty of people on this site, but not you; you just simply disagree with others and give monosyllabic grunts of approval to the ones you agree with.

Personally, I don't know what you believe other than you offer your peanut gallery support to those people you like and predictable derision to those people you dislike. You rarely take the time or effort to articulate anything beyond that to indicate what your views are on much of anything.

Mr. Incredible 08-03-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109351)
No, just ones that will consistently (and usually thoughtfully) disagree with others.

That includes plenty of people on this site, but not you; you just simply disagree with others and give monosyllabic grunts of approval to the ones you agree with.

Personally, I don't know what you believe other than you offer your peanut gallery support to those people you like and predictable derision to those people you dislike. You rarely take the time or effort to articulate anything beyond that to indicate what your views are on much of anything.

Yeah, what he said!
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2627591

;)

BYU71 08-03-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Indy you should relish your situation on this board. While I have never considered you a mullah, you and a couple of others are the closest thing we have. Get some of your hardliner pals who post on CB and TBS to join this site and arguing with you will become less interesting.

Of course you will lose your unique standing here.

Jeff Lebowski 08-03-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 109351)

That's funny. You must be too busy typing to read any of my posts.

I am sorry I interrupted your pity party. Carry on.