cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What kind of dog should I get? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7604)

Venkman 04-11-2007 08:41 PM

What kind of dog should I get?

Here's the criteria:

1. Medium to large dog
2. Good with kids
3. Can't be short-haired. My wife is allergic to dog hair so he will be an outside dog and I don't want him freezing to death in the winter.
4. Can't shed because even if he's not inside, if he sheds his hair will find it's way inside.

Any ideas? Maybe one of those newfangled cross-breeds like a Labradoodle?

marsupial 04-11-2007 08:42 PM

Maybe a labradoodle.

Detroitdad 04-11-2007 08:44 PM

No dog is the best dog.

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 08:45 PM

Where do you live?

Having grown up with outside dogs, and now having had my own dogs in my own house that go freely inside and out--I am opposed to outside dogs. Dogs are social animals, and your dog will be much more enjoyable if he is part of your family. He will be better behaved and your kids will have a better experience.

Some dog breeds are hypoallergenic by the way.

marsupial 04-11-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 72482)
Maybe a labradoodle.

Oh, you said that already. Perhaps I should I have read your entire post first.

Anyway, this is a good thread for me too. I'd like to get a dog for our family in the near future, but having not grown up with dogs, I too would prefer to keep one outside.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72486)
Where do you live?

Having grown up with outside dogs, and now having had my own dogs in my own house that go freely inside and out--I am opposed to outside dogs. Dogs are social animals, and your dog will be much more enjoyable if he is part of your family. He will be better behaved and your kids will have a better experience.

Some dog breeds are hypoallergenic by the way.

Interesting. So, would you go as far as saying don't get a dog if you don't want it in your house?

Frank Ryan 04-11-2007 08:56 PM

I second this

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 72482)
Maybe a labradoodle.

my sister's and her family have one. The dog has an amazing personality and is easy on the allergy front

non sequitur 04-11-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 72480)
Here's the criteria:

1. Medium to large dog
2. Good with kids
3. Can't be short-haired. My wife is allergic to dog hair so he will be an outside dog and I don't want him freezing to death in the winter.
4. Can't shed because even if he's not inside, if he sheds his hair will find it's way inside.

You don't really want a dog. Do your future dog a favor and don't get a dog.

RockyBalboa 04-11-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 72480)
Here's the criteria:

1. Medium to large dog
2. Good with kids

Labrador Retriever. Same breed in first 2 seasons of LOST.

Fits the bill.

BarbaraGordon 04-11-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 72486)
Dogs are social animals, and your dog will be much more enjoyable if he is part of your family. He will be better behaved and your kids will have a better experience.

Dogs *are* very social and need companionship. If kept outside they should have the company of another dog and a large yard. If you live where the temperatures drop in the winter, you may need to make arrangements for a garage at nighttime.

Goldens are great.

ps. Rocky, aren't Labs short-haired?

MikeWaters 04-11-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 72498)
Interesting. So, would you go as far as saying don't get a dog if you don't want it in your house?

Yes, that is my opinion.