cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fundamentally, this is what is wrong. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25137)

exUte 01-06-2009 02:01 PM

Fundamentally, this is what is wrong.

We have a coach that:

1) Thinks football is priority #5
2) Wants to be home at 6:00 pm to eat dinner with the family.
3) Enjoys firesides more than game day.
4) Loves practices, hates games.
5) Doesn't like the media.
6) Doesn't like critical fans.

I guess that is why he fits in so well at the Y. Nothing wrong with the above listed items but for your typical Y administrator but NOT for a football coach who is making $1M!

If his heart isn't in it, take the money and run.

MikeWaters 01-06-2009 02:31 PM

Fundamentally this is what is wrong.

BYU recruits this.

Other schools can also recruit this.

Tex 01-06-2009 02:47 PM

We need to go back to having losing seasons, then all this whining could actually be justified.

Brian 01-06-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 298373)
We need to go back to having losing seasons, then all this whining could actually be justified.

Give it time. It's coming.

MikeWaters 01-06-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

I agree. I think BYU in the last 3 years has done as well as can be expected, given the institutional limitations.

With an extremely weak schedule, we might be able to repeat an undefeated season, but it is not likely.

I personally believe that Alabama would have absolutely destroyed BYU in a bowl (who doesn't think this?).

This is why we are seeing so much whining about BYU playing OU. It is an acknowledgment that we don't belong with the big boys.

Tex 01-06-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 298374)
Give it time. It's coming.

*Yawn* The stock market is going to go down at some point, too.

Brian 01-06-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 298377)
*Yawn* The stock market is going to go down at some point, too.

I disagree.
The stockmarket is driven by market forces. BYU is not.

Unless things change at the top, I think BYU is destined to become a service academy type program.
Lots of RMs with short hair and no tatoos playing solid at best football. Not great, not LaVell great, but solid.

exUte 01-06-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

It's not the record we are whining about. But when 10-2 is only good enough for 3rd in the pathetic MWC and players are going to coaches to beg to practice more, something is wrong. Or the players can't get up for the BIG game? Or do you disagree?

BTW........BYU's 10 wins came from a collective win loss record of their opponents which is pathetic. When was the last time BYU won a big game when it really counted. BYU beat Utah the previous two years on 'miracle' and 'magic' plays. Those are not my quotes. Those are player quotes. Hope, miracles, magic are not solutions.

Brian 01-06-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 298381)
Hope, miracles, magic are not solutions.

more magic coins
more magic coins
more magic coins
more magic coins
more magic coins

Tex 01-06-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 298381)
It's not the record we are whining about. But when 10-2 is only good enough for 3rd in the pathetic MWC and players are going to coaches to beg to practice more, something is wrong. Or the players can't get up for the BIG game? Or do you disagree?

BTW........BYU's 10 wins came from a collective win loss record of their opponents which is pathetic. When was the last time BYU won a big game when it really counted. BYU beat Utah the previous two years on 'miracle' and 'magic' plays. Those are not my quotes. Those are player quotes. Hope, miracles, magic are not solutions.

So because they were "miracle" or "magic" wins, they don't "really count"? And wins against poor opposition don't count either? So the only wins that "count" then, are convincing wins against strong opposition.

Good thing you aren't demanding much.