cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What happened to these Utah Commits (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14720)

A-Train 12-06-2007 08:03 PM

What happened to these Utah Commits

I know Ute fans hate it when BYU fans tease them for not getting commits in but it seems that every year, there are 7-8 guys that never make it. This does not take into account guys going on missions like at BYU.

UTAH Recruits last 2 years that are not on the team.
Chet Blasucci
Joseph Faifili
Pauli Latu
Tony Smith
Kenton Thomas
Peter Tuitupou
Mombroso Washington

James Aiono
Mike Honeycutt
Thor Salanoa
Damilyn Tanner
Westlee Tonga
Reggie Topps

BYU recruits that are not on the team (not including missionaries)
Sam Doman (Left team this year)
Matt Johnson
Michael Moore (Made it to school but quit football)
Tico Pringle (Played 1 year before transferring)
Matangi Tonga (Played 1 year before personal issues)

Ryan Kessman (Left team during year)
Star Lotulelei

I don't know if some of the Utah Players above were on the team and left for personal reasons like we had with the Cougars but I just found this interesting that to my knowledge, BYU had Matt Johnson and Star Lotulelei as the only recruits that did not qualify.

smokymountainrain 12-06-2007 08:09 PM

Didn't BYU have a Thor Salanoa back in the 80s? Is the one mentioned above, his son?

A-Train 12-06-2007 08:22 PM

He is but and he could be on a mission. I am not sure so that is why he is on that list. All the other guys are not LDS I believe.

RockyBalboa 12-06-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Train (Post 160214)
I know Ute fans hate it when BYU fans tease them for not getting commits in but it seems that every year, there are 7-8 guys that never make it. This does not take into account guys going on missions like at BYU.

Chet Blasucci
Joseph Faifili
Pauli Latu
Tony Smith
Kenton Thomas
Peter Tuitupou
Mombroso Washington

James Aiono
Mike Honeycutt
Thor Salanoa
Damilyn Tanner
Westlee Tonga
Reggie Topps

Matt Johnson

Star Lotulelei

I don't know if some of the Utah Players above were on the team and left for personal reasons like we had with the Cougars but I just found this interesting that to my knowledge, BYU had Matt Johnson and Star Lotulelei as the only recruits that did not qualify.

Matt Johnson? Who are you talking about?

Scotty Ebert didn't qualify either.

il Padrino Ute 12-06-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Chet Blasucci
Joseph Faifili
Pauli Latu
Tony Smith
Kenton Thomas
Peter Tuitupou
Mombroso Washington

James Aiono
Mike Honeycutt
Thor Salanoa
Damilyn Tanner
Westlee Tonga
Reggie Topps

I believe Blasucci had injuries that ended his playing days and that Latu had eligibility issues, but those are the only names which I've heard any reason why they are no longer on the team.

Mormon Red Death 12-06-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 160243)
I believe Blasucci had injuries that ended his playing days and that Latu had eligibility issues, but those are the only names which I've heard any reason why they are no longer on the team.

Mombroso washington is on the team but saw limited time this year

il Padrino Ute 12-06-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 160250)
Mombroso washington is on the team but saw limited time this year

Good to know.

No matter what the reason is for any of them who are no longer on either team, be it Utah or BYU, it really isn't an issue now. Both teams seemed to have survived without them.

A-Train 12-06-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 160240)
Matt Johnson? Who are you talking about?

Scotty Ebert didn't qualify either.

You are right about Scotty Ebert. I totally forgot about him. Matt Johnson was the deep snapper that was a late signee but then never showed up 2 years ago so Bronco had open tryouts.

cougjunkie 12-06-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Chet Blasucci
Joseph Faifili
Pauli Latu
Tony Smith
Kenton Thomas
Peter Tuitupou
Mombroso Washington

James Aiono
Mike Honeycutt
Thor Salanoa
Damilyn Tanner
Westlee Tonga
Reggie Topps

Matt Johnson

Star Lotulelei

Matt Johnson ended up not qualifying I believe or just decided he didnt want to play football anymore.

Star Lotulelei did not qualify and is no longer playing football, however he is preparing for a mission and some say he may try and play when he comes back.

James Aiono did not qualify and is playing at Snow

Peter Tuitupous mom works at BYU, and she was very upset when BYU did not offer, he also did not qualify and played at Snow this past year.

Pauli Latu shot someone or was shot.

Joseph Faifilli did not qualify.

SoCalCoug 12-06-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 160292)
Pauli Latu shot someone or was shot.

The details are a little sketchy, I take it? Is he the one who was bleeding? That's usually how I tell the difference.