cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Write my talk for me. Please. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18720)

PaloAltoCougar 04-22-2008 02:47 PM

Write my talk for me. Please.

I've been asked to speak at this Sunday's Stake General Priesthood Meeting on the topic of What Teachers and Quorum/Group Members Can Do to Improve Class Discussions.

So what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? One useful (though unoriginal) approach for me has been to read the lesson one week ahead of time (reading it Sunday afternoon between napping, eating and watching TV sports has the ancillary benefit of easing my conscience about my poor Sabbath observance). By reading it in advance, everyday occurrences during the week will occasionally bring insights that help my understanding of the lesson's themes. Having mulled over a few things during the week, I'm more inclined to participate in the lesson. Historically, I've spent most PH lessons in a state of semi-consciousness. Not so much nowadays.

[D'oh. I intended to put this under Religion. Sorry.]

MikeWaters 04-22-2008 02:48 PM

Yeah. That's a good one. Read the lesson beforehand. Too bad you will not be able to convince anyone that isn't already doing it, to do it.

TripletDaddy 04-22-2008 02:49 PM

I have a cool idea.

Bring in a TV to the pulpit and show the entire Stake this really inspiring scene from "Witness," in which everyone chips in to help raise a barn.

PaloAltoCougar 04-22-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 211477)
I have a cool idea.

Bring in a TV to the pulpit and show the entire Stake this really inspiring scene from "Witness," in which everyone chips in to help raise a barn.

I'm glad you're paying attention. I tried a variation on that approach the following year; a live production that featured me in the Kelly McGillis role. I turned around, shirtless (and these were the days when I was 30 lbs overweight and featured a nice manrack), with water dripping down my chest, and pleaded with the brethren to come help move a family out of the ward.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to move an entire living room set down a flight of stairs by yourself?

Archaea 04-22-2008 02:59 PM

It's a great question with probably a good answer coming from the experts. You may wish to ask Creekster or Lebo, as they are the old gents of our group. SEIQ, being an expert in media, probably has some great ideas.

Rather than answers, I might put forward some questions.

First, determine as a teacher what the meat of the lesson is, and find a way to humanize it to your group. If you know the struggles which are publicly known to the group/quorum, figure a way to bring it back to the group.

Second, ascertain what the level of the group is, what the ranges are, in order to determine what may or may not be acceptable parameters. Polyandry may or may not benefit certain groups.

Third, determine ahead who might derail conversations and find a nice way to divert it back to the subject.

Fourth, read the manual, see what is not included on the subject and ask yourself why that aspect is not included. Example, why is polyandry not included? Can you find a reason why not to include it? For Book of Mormon, why are Deutero Isaiah aspects of Second Nephi not discussed? Why is the unity of Isaiah not discussed?

Fifth, research what is not included, and examine them in connection to the whole picture and ponder why the parts which have been included are included and why the parts which have been included are included? What does this tell you about the subject matter?

I'll add additional thoughts later. The only reason is that I struggle to stay interested, and use many techniques to find a reason to pay attention.

TripletDaddy 04-22-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211482)
I'm glad you're paying attention. I tried a variation on that approach the following year; a live production that featured me in the Kelly McGillis role. I turned around, shirtless (and these were the days when I was 30 lbs overweight and featured a nice manrack), with water dripping down my chest, and pleaded with the brethren to come help move a family out of the ward.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to move an entire living room set down a flight of stairs by yourself?

I don't think it was your irrigated gynecomastia that turned people off.

It was the fact that you asked everyone to show up at 4:30AM to do it and that nobody could drive their car.

People got their OWN cows to milk, amigo.

YOhio 04-22-2008 03:37 PM

I've been an EQ instructor for the past three years and I have a theory on the purpose of PH lessons. That is, the purpose of PH lessons are to 1) help the quorum draw closer together as a brotherhood, 2) learn more about the prophet for whom the manual is dedicated, and 3) better understand the topic at hand.

If the lesson is only geared towards the third purpose, it's usually pretty boring. The lessons are typically pretty basic stuff, so it's kind of tough to get participation and insight. Although it is kind of fun to look through the lesson and find seemingly contradictory points and get some good argument.

Delving into the lives of the prophets and understanding the context in which the quotes are taken can really add to a lesson. Furthermore, if the instructor knows the quorum members well, they can ask pointed questions that can get a more of a personal response from members. It takes a lot of preparation, but can really make that last half-hour go quite well.

Sleeping in EQ 04-22-2008 05:07 PM

Please forgive the obviousness...You need to teach in such a manner so that reading the lesson material beforehand, active and diverse participation, or whatever is desired--is rewarded.

Teachers should reward the behavior they want.

Mormon Red Death 04-22-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211472)
I've been asked to speak at this Sunday's Stake General Priesthood Meeting on the topic of What Teachers and Quorum/Group Members Can Do to Improve Class Discussions.

So what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? One useful (though unoriginal) approach for me has been to read the lesson one week ahead of time (reading it Sunday afternoon between napping, eating and watching TV sports has the ancillary benefit of easing my conscience about my poor Sabbath observance). By reading it in advance, everyday occurrences during the week will occasionally bring insights that help my understanding of the lesson's themes. Having mulled over a few things during the week, I'm more inclined to participate in the lesson. Historically, I've spent most PH lessons in a state of semi-consciousness. Not so much nowadays.

[D'oh. I intended to put this under Religion. Sorry.]

Here's my suggestion and if I was the GD teacher again I would do this. I would get everyone's email then send them a quick review of the lesson on like thursday. People could read the email at work and it wouldn't seem like such a chore. I would embed the scriptures I wanted to read in the email.

this would serve two purposes.

1. Help yourself prepare to teach/lead the discussion
2. Provide the people the most likely way they will read the lesson.

I read all non-junk emails I get. I would read the lesson because its all right there.

il Padrino Ute 04-22-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 211472)
ISo what tips would you offer to elevate the often lamentably low level of classroom conversation? ]

Tom Trails filmstrips.