cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cal Ripken and Tony Gwyn Head to the Hall (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10386)

DrumNFeather 07-27-2007 12:27 PM

Cal Ripken and Tony Gwyn Head to the Hall

I haven't cared for baseball in general for quite some time, although the Nationals coming to town has helped a little.

The last player I enjoyed watching was Cal Ripken and I am glad that he made it into the Hall of Fame on his first ballot.

In the season after the strike, the McGuire/Sosa home run chase, and his chase of the consecutive games played streak saved baseball.

Ripken is a class act all the way, as is Gwyn, and it is nice to see them rewarded for hard, honest play on during their entire careers.

They are deserving of this honor, and I'm glad that they don't have to answer questions about steroids etc...with McGuire not getting voted in.

il Padrino Ute 07-27-2007 04:51 PM

Ripkin and Gwynn were no-brainers for first ballot entries. It's good to see it happen and I agree that they were class guys in everything they did on and off the diamond during their careers.

cougjunkie 07-28-2007 04:32 PM

when i was growing up we played in a little league world series regional game, against Tony Gwyn jr. Tony was his sons coach, this was in the middle of his career yet he took time out to coach his son whenever he could make it to the games, i was playing first base in the game and Tony Gwyn was coaching first, i was in absolute awe standing there next to Tony Gwyn, I had gotten a hit earlier in the game and as i stood there he said and i will never forget:

"Hey nice hit earlier, way to go with the pitch, all great hitters can hit to all fields"

After that i would work for hours on going the other way. The guy is a complete stud, i go to the BYU-SDSU games just to see him.

il Padrino Ute 07-28-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 107091)
when i was growing up we played in a little league world series regional game, against Tony Gwyn jr. Tony was his sons coach, this was in the middle of his career yet he took time out to coach his son whenever he could make it to the games, i was playing first base in the game and Tony Gwyn was coaching first, i was in absolute awe standing there next to Tony Gwyn, I had gotten a hit earlier in the game and as i stood there he said and i will never forget:

"Hey nice hit earlier, way to go with the pitch, all great hitters can hit to all fields"

After that i would work for hours on going the other way. The guy is a complete stud, i go to the BYU-SDSU games just to see him.

That's a great story junkie. Thanks for sharing.

cougjunkie 07-29-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 107111)
That's a great story junkie. Thanks for sharing.

By the way let me add that they kicked our asses.

Venkman 07-29-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 107091)

VERY cool.