cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Deseret First Duel (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19190)

Spaz 05-07-2008 02:46 PM

Deseret First Duel

I know it's stupid, but FYI, the DF Duel will be decided by the Men's baseball team on May 15-17. Look here for an update.

BYU needs to take one of those three games to win the trophy.

That said, how hollow would a Utah victory be in the grand scheme of things? Sure, they won the trophy, but they lost all three games in the only sports that really matter...

il Padrino Ute 05-07-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 218129)
I know it's stupid, but FYI, the DF Duel will be decided by the Men's baseball team on May 15-17. Look here for an update.

BYU needs to take one of those three games to win the trophy.

That said, how hollow would a Utah victory be in the grand scheme of things? Sure, they won the trophy, but they lost all three games in the only sports that really matter...

Only absolute dweeb fans and the blockheads from both schools who came up with this lame competition care about it. It's a hollow victory no matter which side wins it.

I highly doubt that the athletes and coaches on either side care.

BigFatMeanie 05-07-2008 08:38 PM

Any competition that says womens and mens basketball have equal importance is completely lame. Any competition that says two womens basketball games have equal importance to a single mens football game is completely lame.

Jeff Lebowski 05-07-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 218295)
Any competition that says womens and mens basketball have equal importance is completely lame. Any competition that says two womens basketball games have equal importance to a single mens football game is completely lame.

What's the correct ratio? 1000:1? Based on attendance it would probably be around that number.

BigFatMeanie 05-07-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 218297)
What's the correct ratio? 1000:1? Based on attendance it would probably be around that number.

You could use any objective measure:

# athletes participating
attendance
revenue generated
TV ratings

Any objective measure says that women's sports are not as significant as men's sports and thus shouldn't have equal significance.

cougjunkie 05-07-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 218297)

womens basketball average attendance was 420. Mens football was 66,000.

Cali Coug 05-07-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 218319)
You could use any objective measure:

# athletes participating
attendance
revenue generated
TV ratings

Any objective measure says that women's sports are not as significant as men's sports and thus shouldn't have equal significance.

In other words, whoever wins the football game. Works for me. But only if we eliminate the stupid name they picked for the contest. Holy War was much better. At least then the Utes were clearly identified as the heathens. ;)

Jeff Lebowski 05-07-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 218321)
womens basketball average attendance was 420. Mens football was 66,000.

Yeah, but how many of those 420 bought a ticket?

il Padrino Ute 05-07-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 218379)
Yeah, but how many of those 420 bought a ticket?

11?

Spaz 05-08-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 218248)
Only absolute dweeb fans and the blockheads from both schools who came up with this lame competition care about it. It's a hollow victory no matter which side wins it.

I highly doubt that the athletes and coaches on either side care.

IMO, far less hollow for the team that wins the Football game & both Mens BBall games.

Watching womens sports, in general, is an exercise in frustration & pain. Much like getting your nails pulled off with pliers.

I went to the WNBA team in Utah a few times (the Stars?). I enjoyed watching the Lesbo's in the crowd interact more than the game itself.