cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I'm leaving (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396)

Quisqueyano 06-25-2007 06:23 PM

I'm leaving

Temporarily of course. I am going on vacation for the next week. I will not be riding. So i am really interested/concerned what 10 days off the bike will do to my fitness. I'll report back on that.

MikeWaters 06-25-2007 06:24 PM

Even one week will do hell.

I went to summer camp, trudged up and down hills and mud.

Came back and played basketball and could barely make it up and down the court.

Cardio fitness goes quick.

Quisqueyano 06-25-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 93776)
Even one week will do hell.

I went to summer camp, trudged up and down hills and mud.

Came back and played basketball and could barely make it up and down the court.

Cardio fitness goes quick.

My understanding is 10%/week. But I have also heard that 1 week will not do that much damage. I also wonder if it is that linear.

MikeWaters 06-25-2007 06:30 PM

do you suffocate to death after 10 weeks?

Quisqueyano 06-25-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 93782)
do you suffocate to death after 10 weeks?

That's exactly what I mean. I doubt you lose too much after 1 weeks. But what about after 2? And eventually, the loss has to taper off and become more like that of an average adult my age.
So what are the real numbers?

SteelBlue 06-25-2007 07:34 PM

I remember reading in Bicycling magazine that 12 days without any riding will place you at pre-riding fitness levels. I had and still have a very hard time believing that, but I'm almost certain that's what they printed.

Archaea 06-25-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 93805)
I remember reading in Bicycling magazine that 12 days without any riding will place you at pre-riding fitness levels. I had and still have a very hard time believing that, but I'm almost certain that's what they printed.

That's terrible, but I have trouble believing that.

RC Vikings 06-25-2007 07:58 PM

If you're on a beach drinking tequila and eating oreos for a week you will problely suck but I would think if your watching your diet and staying active you wouldn't have any drop off.

Quisqueyano 06-25-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 93818)
If you're on a beach drinking tequila and eating oreos for a week you will problely suck but I would think if your watching your diet and staying active you wouldn't have any drop off.

LOL. Fortunately the beaches I'll be visiting are not condusive to tequila and oreos.
More like smoked salmon

RC Vikings 06-25-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quisqueyano (Post 93820)
LOL. Fortunately the beaches I'll be visiting are not condusive to tequila and oreos.
More like smoked salmon

Sounds like an Alaskan fishing trip.