cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anybody tried any good recipes recently? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12774)

Mrs. Funk 10-14-2007 07:05 AM

Anybody tried any good recipes recently?

Mr. Funk and I both like to cook but are short on time. Anybody tried some good easy recipes lately?

Here's one of our favorites to get us started:

Tomato Basil Soup:
2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
pepper to taste (we like lots!)
1 1/2 teaspoon diced garlic
1 Tablespoon onion
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2-3 teaspoons basil

Throw all of these ingredients together in a blender, blend until smooth.
Throw it in a pot, warm it up until it's bubbling gently.

Broiled French Sandwiches (variation on the traditional Croque Monsieur)
1 loaf French bread
1 tub sour cream
Any kind of meat and any kind of cheese (though, good combinations include roast beef and cheddar, turkey and provolone, ham and swiss... havarti with any of these is good!)

Cut the loaf in half the long way. On the non-crusty side, spread the sour cream with a spatula. Place slices of meat and cheese on top. Broil in the over for 3-5 minutes (watch carefully! you want the cheese to get bubbly but not burn!). Serve warm.

Requiem 10-15-2007 07:15 PM

Julie Beck’s Mothers Who Know Pie
A subtle dash of single malt scotch whisky and tart cherries in the filling, plus an almost perceptible hint of hypocrisy, make this comforting pie unique. Serve with heavy screams for drizzling.
Servings: Feeds an entire congregation of non-thinkers
Crust
2 cups all purpose piety
3/4 cup heavy makeup
1 1/2 teaspoons condescension
3/4 cup ice cold eyes - cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup (or more) ipecac syrup
Filling
1 conference center full of dried old tarts
2 bottles Scotch single malt whisky
230 to 250 pounds medium-size Golden Delicious oversized RS President butts (about 2), peeled, halved, cored, thinly sliced – save excess in Crisco cans
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown noses
2 teaspoons ground sins of omission
1 tablespoon beaten mormon wives with 1 tablespoon sugar (for home teachers)
Preparation
Reserve two tablespoons whisky. Drink remainder. Console self with the fact that real “Mothers Who Know” keep their heads high when they deal with less than perfect kids, and are forced to work outside of the home. Gather dough into ball. Divide in half. Shape into disks. Wrap in plastic and freeze 1 hour. Use as projectiles at the next RS craft meeting.

YOhio 10-15-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 136343)
Julie Beck’s Mothers Who Know Pie

This recipe seems a tad bitter.

cougjunkie 10-15-2007 07:59 PM

Requiem, i know a lot of people have been thinking it but i guess i will be the one to say it, Know your role, get in the kitchen and quit wasting time on this board when you have house cleaning to do and pies to bake.

Requiem 10-15-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 136382)

You're right. For sweetness add a dash of udder balm.

(Your avatar is hilarious)

ute4ever 10-15-2007 08:27 PM

This is how I broke the fast yesterday:

-Package of Velveeta shells and cheese
-For a cheesier flavor, I added additional shredded cheese
-For a little crunch, I crumbled in some nacho cheese doritos
-Touch of Tapatio red pepper sauce

Washed down with a code red Mountain Dew

(And then took a three mile walk along the coast, which burned off maybe 10% of the calories)

marsupial 10-15-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 136382)

Nice avatar. I had that album high school. Was it Milque toast?

post script: I just googled it. The album was Betty, I think Milquetoast was one of the tracks.

marsupial 10-15-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 135775)
Mr. Funk and I both like to cook but are short on time. Anybody tried some good easy recipes lately?

Here's one of our favorites to get us started:

Tomato Basil Soup:
2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
pepper to taste (we like lots!)
1 1/2 teaspoon diced garlic
1 Tablespoon onion
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2-3 teaspoons basil

Throw all of these ingredients together in a blender, blend until smooth.
Throw it in a pot, warm it up until it's bubbling gently.

This sounds delicious. Unfortunately, Danimal would never eat it. He doesn't think soup can be a meal, even if you add a sandwich or salad with it.

YOhio 10-15-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 136428)
Nice avatar. I had that album high school. Was it Milque toast?

post script: I just googled it. The album was Betty, I think Milquetoast was one of the tracks.

Danimal got lucky with you. Great album, almost as good as Meantime.

Mrs. Funk 10-15-2007 10:57 PM

Uuuuummm... I was legitimately asking for recipes, and not because I'm a repressed Mormon housewife. I'm a law student- and yes, putting off kids to attend. My husband cooks as much as I do. We like to cook. I wasn't trying to offend anybody's latent feminist sensibilities.

Jeff Lebowski 10-15-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 136649)
Uuuuummm... I was legitimately asking for recipes, and not because I'm a repressed Mormon housewife. I'm a law student- and yes, putting off kids to attend. My husband cooks as much as I do. We like to cook. I wasn't trying to offend anybody's latent feminist sensibilities.

Don't stop her. She's on a roll.

Mrs. Funk 10-15-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 136652)
Don't stop her. She's on a roll.

I'm just irritated that my meaning was so misconstrued. Is there something wrong with cooking because I like to cook? Beck's talk irritated me, too, but I haven't stopped doing things I enjoy because they might be remotely related to that buzzword "homemaking."

ute4ever 10-16-2007 12:00 AM

There is another thread somewhere in the food category where several of us posted actual recipes.

Meanwhile I should warn you in advance that just about every topic on this site is met with sarcastic responses. It's nothing against you personally.

FarrahWaters 10-16-2007 12:01 AM

Yes, ute4ever has a great stroganoff recipe posted somewhere! ;)

Mrs. Funk 10-16-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 136698)
There is another thread somewhere in the food category where several of us posted actual recipes.

Meanwhile I should warn you in advance that just about every topic on this site is met with sarcastic responses. It's nothing against you personally.

Thanks for the headsup. I'll grow a thicker skin.

marsupial 10-16-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 136452)
Danimal got lucky with you. Great album, almost as good as Meantime.

Well, I am hardly the bad a-- rocker I was when danimal and I met. My musical tastes have mellowed slightly. I don't think I'd listen to Helmet now... at least, not with my kids in the car.

marsupial 10-16-2007 03:13 PM

And to Mrs. Funk...

Sorry your post has been hijacked and ignored. I'm always looking for a good recipe too. Here is one I've made a few times. Actually, I got this one from Farrah.

Cafe Rio Burritos

1 boneless pork tenderloin (about 2 lbs.)
1 1/2 cups ketchup
8 heaping Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. dry mustard
4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. salt
6 cloves garlic

Cook in crockpot 6-7 hours, shred with fork. Serve in tortillas with rice, black beans, and cheese. Top with lettuce, green salsa, and sour cream.

This makes a ton of meat. I usually freeze the leftovers and get several meals out of it.

Mrs. Funk 10-16-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 136852)
Sorry your post has been hijacked and ignored. I'm always looking for a good recipe too. Here is one I've made a few times. Actually, I got this one from Farrah.

Cafe Rio Burritos

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
6 cloves garlic

Cook in crockpot 6-7 hours, shred with fork. Serve in tortillas with rice, black beans, and cheese. Top with lettuce, green salsa, and sour cream.

This makes a ton of meat. I usually freeze the leftovers and get several meals out of it.

That sounds really yummy! We might try that this week.

ute4ever 10-16-2007 04:08 PM

Thanks, M! My uncle looooooves their pork burrito. If he wasn't already married, he would marry it. I just forwarded the recipe.

FarrahWaters 10-17-2007 03:56 AM

From this site, the turkey burger recipe posted by Lebowski and the Thai recipes posted by BFM have been great.

A couple of easy ones.
Greek Chicken http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Greek-Chicken/Detail.aspx
Cajun Chicken pasta http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cajun-C...ta/Detail.aspx (I use half/half, not heavy cream)
Grilled Salmon packets-- a complete meal, no pans to clean http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/40036/

byu1 10-17-2007 04:51 AM

Quote:

Cafe Rio Burritos

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
6 cloves garlic

GREAT, any idea how to do their BEEF and their rice???

TheSizzle36 10-17-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 136701)
Yes, ute4ever has a great stroganoff recipe posted somewhere! ;)

I am getting confused, I thought it was SoonerCoug was was the stroganoff fan...

Mrs. Funk 10-17-2007 04:34 PM

Another yummy recipe

Shrimp w/ Cumin and Mint

1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. mint leaves
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, minced
½ c. unsweetened coconut flakes
1 c. beef broth
1 lb. cooked shrimp
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

Warm the olive oil in a wok-type pan. Add the cumin, ground turmeric, mint leaves, lemon juice, garlic, and minced onion to the oil. Brown until the onion becomes translucent. Add the unsweetened coconut flakes and beef broth.

Add the cooked shrimp and cook sauce on medium until shrimp are warmed through. Spice with 1/4-1/2 ts. cayenne pepper.

Serve over rice.

Yum!

cougjunkie 10-17-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 137414)
I am getting confused, I thought it was SoonerCoug was was the stroganoff fan...

Soonercoug is the strokingoff fan, ute4ever likes stroganoff.

FarrahWaters 05-06-2008 12:41 AM

I thought I'd add this to the quick and easy recipe file.

Roast chicken breasts w/ garbanzo beans, tomatoes, paprika
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/242113

It's about 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes to bake. I used canned tomatoes, and threw some cut up zucchini and yellow squash w/ the bean mixture to make it a complete meal. Served with brown rice. Really liked the smoked paprika taste. Chicken turns out moist because of the chickpea mixture on top keeps it from drying out. Seems like a pretty healthy meal too.

marsupial 05-06-2008 12:50 AM

Thanks Farrah. It looks yummy and I have some chickpeas that I need to use in something.

TripletDaddy 05-06-2008 12:52 AM

This is a lovely thread.

I have been experiementing a bit with some soup recipes. When I go home, I will look 'em up and post them here. They are yummy.

Did anyone else besides Coach try my churro recipe? Come on, now, people. Trust me, it is a good one.

YOhio 05-06-2008 01:24 AM

I was screwing around in the kitchen the other day and made a nice little chicken and pasta dish that cooks up pretty quick.

4 Chicken Breasts
Pasta - I used spaghetti
Handful of Sundried Tomatoes
Handful of kalamata olives
Handful of black olives
Couple of garlic cloves
shake of italian seasoning
Shake or two of olive oil or oil from tomatoes

Take all the ingredients except chicken and pasta and put into a food processor. Hit it a couple of times.

Cook the chicken in a big skillet, using a little olive oil and butter. When the chicken is about a minute or two away from being done, spoon in a little tomato olive mix. Take the chicken out and put in your microwave or oven to retain the heat. While your cooking the chicken, simultaneously boil your pasta and drain. After the chicken is done, put the pasta in the same skillet you used to cook your chicken. Swirl it around a few times and get a nice coating of the oil and chicken drippings on the pasta. If you'd like, you can also throw in the remainder of the tomato-olive mix.

Serve the chicken with the pasta on the side with some feta or parmesan sprinkled on top. Fresh green beans also go well with this dish.

TripletDaddy 05-06-2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 217561)
I was screwing around in the kitchen the other day and made a nice little chicken and pasta dish that cooks up pretty quick.

4 Chicken Breasts
Pasta - I used spaghetti
Handful of Sundried Tomatoes
Handful of kalamata olives
Handful of black olives
Couple of garlic cloves
shake of italian seasoning
Shake or two of olive oil or oil from tomatoes

Take all the ingredients except chicken and pasta and put into a food processor. Hit it a couple of times.

Cook the chicken in a big skillet, using a little olive oil and butter. When the chicken is about a minute or two away from being done, spoon in a little tomato olive mix. Take the chicken out and put in your microwave or oven to retain the heat. While your cooking the chicken, simultaneously boil your pasta and drain. After the chicken is done, put the pasta in the same skillet you used to cook your chicken. Swirl it around a few times and get a nice coating of the oil and chicken drippings on the pasta. If you'd like, you can also throw in the remainder of the tomato-olive mix.

Serve the chicken with the pasta on the side with some feta or parmesan sprinkled on top. Fresh green beans also go well with this dish.

This sounds good.

Question: doesnt the tomato paste mix burn quickly in the heat of the skillet? Is the purpose to blacken the paste and serve on top of chicken, use it to spice the chicken only and do not serve it with meal, or simply to heat it up and remove it quickly and serve with pasta?

I may use your recipe and add some sweet pearl onions to the mix. yum!

ute4ever 05-06-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 217546)
I have been experiementing a bit with some soup recipes. When I go home, I will look 'em up and post them here. They are yummy.

None of us want your gringo enchiladas made with soup.

YOhio 05-06-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 217563)
This sounds good.

Question: doesnt the tomato paste mix burn quickly in the heat of the skillet? Is the purpose to blacken the paste and serve on top of chicken, use it to spice the chicken only and do not serve it with meal, or simply to heat it up and remove it quickly and serve with pasta?

I may use your recipe and add some sweet pearl onions to the mix. yum!

The mix is usually fine because it isn't really in direct contact with the skillet. When I spoon it in, I put it directly on top of the chicken, kind of like a salsa. The juices from the mix flow down and help season the skillet for the upcoming pasta. If it falls off the chicken, it probably isn't too big a deal because it's only on the skillet for a few minutes.

As to the purpose of the mix, I guess it all depends on taste. I kind of view it as a cross between salsa and marinara sauce. It has the texture of a thick salsa, but it goes really well when mixed in the pasta like a marinara. Pearl onions sound great, btw. I'm going to give that a try. I also imagine the mix would work well on bruschetta.

I also forgot to mention that I put a little seasoning rub on the chicken breast prior to putting it on the frying pan. It might sound weird, but I like a little Montreal Chicken Seasoning. It has all the basic seasonings and spices; Garlic, Onion, Paprika, Red Pepper, so it works pretty well even when just using a frying pan. I don't use a whole lot, just enough to flavor it a little.

ute4ever 05-09-2008 03:50 PM

This turned out very well yesterday, I shall be making it again:

-Sautee an onion, sliced mushrooms, and diced chicken breast in olive oil
-When fully cooked, add about 6 oz. sour cream
-When bubbling, add about 4 oz shredded cheeses
-When bubbling, add roasted red pepper tomato alfredo sauce (mine was out of a jar, but if you know how to make your own, more power to you)
-In the meantime cook 16 oz. of pasta, and when finished, stir it into the sauce.

Très Magnifique!

ute4ever 10-19-2008 08:26 PM

Today I had a sliced roast beef sandwich for lunch, but instead of using plain old boring sliced bread, I used focaccia peppers and cheese bread. Mmm.

Dessert was brownies from a Ghirardelli mix, topped with nutella.

ute4ever 03-21-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Cafe Rio Burritos...

Here's another Cafe Rio recipe. If you like their salads, this is the Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing:

1 pack (1oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (regular, not buttermilk)
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup milk
1 lime
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup green salsa
hot sauce to taste

Very simple: place milk, mayo, and ranch mix in blender. Juice the lime in the blender, which should yield about 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic, cilantro and green salsa. Blend. Add hot sauce to taste.

Make an hour ahead of time, then refrigerate to thicken.

ute4ever 07-19-2010 03:36 AM

This was heavenly:

Orgasmic Mac and Cheese

Quote:

Wild Mushroom Macaroni and Three Cheeses with Truffle Oil

1 1/2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
2 tbsp oil or bacon fat
1 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cup whole milk, warmed
4 oz herb chevre, crumbled
4 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz parmigiano reggiano, separated in 2 2oz piles
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
2-3 tbsp white truffle oil, depending on how strong you like it (yes, this is some rich mac-n-cheese)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup panko
10 oz elbow pasta
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large pot of water over high heat and cover. Place a large saute pan with 2 tbsp oil or lard over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms to the pan and saute for 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are fully cooked and slightly caramelized. Toss or stir occasionally. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper then deglaze the pan with sherry vinegar. Allow all of the vinegar to cook out, then remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.

Begin the cheese sauce. Add 4 tbsp butter to a medium-sized sauce pan and place the pan on the stove over medium heat. Once all the butter is melted and hot, whisk in 4 tbsp flour. Cook the flour, whisking, for about 30 seconds , just long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste, but not long enough for the flour to start caramelizing. Add the thyme, rosemary, sage, and red pepper flakes. Continue stirring and allow the herbs to saute for about another 30 secpnds. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking continuously, so the roux and milk incorporate smoothly and there are no lumps. Allow the bechamel to come to a simmer (it won't gain it's full thickness until it does), stirring occassionally.

While waiting for the sauce to come to a simmer start the pasta. Liberally salt the pot of boiling water, almost to the point it tastes like sea water. This may take a few handfuls of salt . Add the pasta to the water and cook the pasta for a minute or two less than the suggested time on the box.

Once the bechamel has reached a simmer, stir in the chevre, cheddar, 2oz of parmigiano, and truffle oil until all the cheese has melted. Turn off the heat and and taste the sauce for seasoning levels. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. In small mixing bowl, mix together the panko and remaining 2oz of parmigiano reggiano.

Strain the pasta immediately once finished cooking. In a mixing bowl, toss the pasta, cheese sauce, and mushrooms together. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a deep glass or ceramic loaf pan and sprinkle the panko/parmigiano mixture evenly across the top. Bake the mac-n-cheese in the upper part of the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is golden and the cheese sauce is bubbly. Serve hot. Enjoy!

*if you're lucky enough to have a real truffle, feel free to substitute shaved truffle for the truffle oil!

MiniCookie 06-13-2019 04:10 PM

If you like shrimps, I can recommend these recipes https://club.cooking/recipe-category/shrimp/

Healthy and quick! :D

YellowApple 06-24-2019 02:06 AM

I tried cookies recipe from this site yesterday https://club.cooking/recipe/no-bake-...tmeal-cookies/ pretty quick and tasty!