cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   HB Arnett really down about this recruiting class (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16899)

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 12:42 AM

HB Arnett really down about this recruiting class

He says Mendenhall pulled an O-fer when it came to the best LDS athletes available:

Kavienga
Kevin Prince
Hamani Stevens
Max Tuiti-Mariner
Simi Kuli
Lyn Katoa
David Kruger

He says you have a problem when your star in your class is a kicker and then your coach says he doesn't have to worry about stars because he has 22 wins in the last two seasons. But he doesn't mention that he is 3-6 against BCS.

BYU is 12-20 against BCS teams, most of which are not even the better ones in their leagues.

Coach McGuirk 02-18-2008 02:09 AM

Same guy that used to talk about how great Crowtons classes were, right? I will take the results of Bronco and HB bitching about it, over 5-6 seasons and HB loving our recruiting.

Now I can see the comeback to this being Bronco winning with Crowton's recruits but Bronco's recruits are already big contributers on the team.

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 02:35 AM

HB is one of those fans who wants BYU to play with the big boys. Clearly Mendenhall does not want to tangle with the big boys. I don't blame BM. He has to worry about his paycheck.

jay santos 02-18-2008 02:42 AM

"I don't care if Bronco's recruiting classes suck because he wins games."

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard from a large number of BYU fans in a long time.

Either recruiting's important or it's not. Obviously it is. No college fan would disagree.

Either this class is good or it's not. I'm convinced it's 1) marginally worse but not ridiculously worse than it's been the last five years but more importantly 2) it's not nearly as good as it COULD have been considering the huge amount of LDS talent we missed on.

Not only did we lose a ton of recruits to BCS schools, but arguably Utah had as good as year we did with the top 15 or so LDS recruits. We got a few, they got a few.

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 02:47 AM

To be fair, I think what pisses HB off is that Bronco says he doesn't care that he missed the top recruits.

il Padrino Ute 02-18-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 186065)
To be fair, I think what pisses HB off is that Bronco says he doesn't care that he missed the top recruits.

Why worry about kids that didn't sign?

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 03:01 AM

I think it is the natural order of things for there to be fans who are completely satisfied, and for there to be fans who are pushing for a higher level, and are not satisfied.

What I tend not to like is when the first group of fans doesn't want the second group of fans to exist.

il Padrino Ute 02-18-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 186069)
I think it is the natural order of things for there to be fans who are completely satisfied, and for there to be fans who are pushing for a higher level, and are not satisfied.

What I tend not to like is when the first group of fans doesn't want the second group of fans to exist.

Understood.

I don't have a problem when fans want bigger and better things to happen. I'm just one that doesn't worry about kids who don't sign with Utah, because if they wanted to play for the Utes, they would.

Jeff Lebowski 02-18-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 186065)

How could you or HB possibly know that?

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 186092)
How could you or HB possibly know that?

Because HB listened to Bronco's presentation on the recruits.