cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How many tubes ya'll take with you? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10988)

fusnik11 08-20-2007 04:16 AM

How many tubes ya'll take with you?

I was on mile 39.91 of a ride this weekend and had a blow out.

It never occurred to me that I would need a new tube during the middle of a ride.

A second question, should I get some CO2 or do I just take with me one of those converters and pump up my tire to the correct PSI? (I can't get my tires fully pumped with my hand pump)

Archaea 08-20-2007 05:47 AM

carry two tubes and as many co2s as you can carry.

MikeWaters 08-20-2007 02:03 PM

I carry one tube, one patch kit, and 3 co2 tubes (I think I will reduce that to two for training rides).

On a ride where I can't afford to have something screw up (i.e. a rally), I will often take an extra fold-up tire (I've had tire sidewalls blowout).

RC Vikings 08-20-2007 02:25 PM

One tube, two co2's and my phone. If I get more then one flat then I'm calling the wife to come and get me.

creekster 08-20-2007 06:32 PM

I carry one tube, one patch kit and CO2 on my road bike only. On my fat tire bikes I can get it up to pressure with the pump alone.

What else do you carry in your seat bag? I also carry a mulit-tool, some cash, tire levers, and a phone. If it is a longer ride I also take a credit card and a D.L.

MikeWaters 08-20-2007 06:34 PM

I have a 5mm allen wrench and tire levers as well. I keep phone in my back pocket. It's good to have ID in your bag as well. Like a copy of your DL.

In case you wreck and are a John Doe at the hospital.

creekster 08-20-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 114197)
I have a 5mm allen wrench and tire levers as well. I keep phone in my back pocket. It's good to have ID in your bag as well. Like a copy of your DL.

In case you wreck and are a John Doe at the hospital.

I have always assumed that with my phone they can look at my addresses and call home and figure out who I am, making the ID not strictly needed.

MikeWaters 08-20-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 114287)
I have always assumed that with my phone they can look at my addresses and call home and figure out who I am, making the ID not strictly needed.

it may not be obvious which address is home, unless you have a contact named "home" (which I don't ).

MikeWaters 08-20-2007 08:52 PM

also there are many more things that can go wrong with a phone, that makes you unidentifiable, than with a ID card that is plastic or encased in plastic.

creekster 08-20-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 114303)
it may not be obvious which address is home, unless you have a contact named "home" (which I don't ).

Not being particualry imaginative, I do indeed have a speed dial and contact named "home." Your point about broken phones is a good one.