cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Would you rather your school have Mountain West Conference titles or Nobel Prizes? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14380)

SeattleUte 11-28-2007 04:11 AM

Would you rather your school have Mountain West Conference titles or Nobel Prizes?

CAUTION: Your answer to this question will forever mark you in my eyes as a dipshit or somebody I may want to have a beer with someday.

il Padrino Ute 11-28-2007 04:15 AM

Dang. Because I'm not much of a fan of professional sports, baseball being the exception, that is a tough question for me.

SeattleUte 11-28-2007 04:39 AM

Waters only votes if he aims to lie.

il Padrino Ute 11-28-2007 04:42 AM

On a world scale, the Nobel Prize carries more weight.

But I'm more of a sports fan than I am a Nobel Prize fan, so I'll have to go with MWC championship.

JohnnyLingo 11-28-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 156150)
On a world scale, the Nobel Prize carries more weight.

But I'm more of a sports fan than I am a Nobel Prize fan, so I'll have to go with MWC championship.

The Nobel Prize is meaningless these days. It might carry weight in countries like France, but that doesn't take away from its meaninglessness.

Jeff Lebowski 11-28-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 156169)
The Nobel Prize is meaningless these days. It might carry weight in countries like France, but that doesn't take away from its meaninglessness.

Nonsense. You can argue that the peace category (one of six) is controversial, but to say that the prizes are meaningless is absurd.

Tex 11-28-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 156181)
Nonsense. You can argue that the peace category (one of six) is controversial, but to say that the prizes are meaningless is absurd.

I'm gonna guess that's what Lingo meant. I agree with him that the Peace prize is a joke. Literature is another that I have reservations about.

The science awards on the other hand have great credibility, and I think rightly so.

Archaea 11-28-2007 02:38 PM

I voted for Nobel Prizes, but the question should be more framed in terms of timing.

If you want to argue that my school was awarded two Nobel prizes in the 1930s, but will never again receive one, and my school will receive a string of MWC championships and do great academically but never receive whereas the other school received them a century ago, never to receive them again and to not achieve championships, then I'd choose current championships over past fading glory never to return.

Now if it's an equal chance of current Nobels against sports championships, then it's a no-brainer for an academic institution, Nobels and Rhodes scholars all the way.

MikeWaters 11-28-2007 02:50 PM

A school that doesn't do research is not likely to get Nobel Prizes, btw.

Archaea 11-28-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 156201)
A school that doesn't do research is not likely to get Nobel Prizes, btw.

Agreed.

If it's an either or proposition for current awards, the Nobel Prize is more prestigious so I go with the more prestigious award. However, it's never that simple.