cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Real estate question (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15786)

jay santos 01-10-2008 10:42 PM

Real estate question

I used to know this stuff but it's been over ten years since I was involved.

What is an average cap rate for residential single family rentals or maybe a duplex? Nationwide? And Provo area? What's the best you could do if you were smart and selective in the Provo area?

I'd like it calculated conservatively with realistic vacancy and rents and a fair amount towards maintenance and property management.

TripletDaddy 01-10-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 173228)
I used to know this stuff but it's been over ten years since I was involved.

What is an average cap rate for residential single family rentals or maybe a duplex? Nationwide? And Provo area? What's the best you could do if you were smart and selective in the Provo area?

I'd like it calculated conservatively with realistic vacancy and rents and a fair amount towards maintenance and property management.

I recently looked into buying some condos at BYU.....south of campus.....go into it with another person and buy 4 of them. I was shocked at how low the rents are there. Seems like it would take a decade for enough appreciation to allow you to refi with any significant equity. Didnt seem worth it so we backed out.

Is there a better area in provo to consider?

jay santos 01-10-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 173247)
I recently looked into buying some condos at BYU.....south of campus.....go into it with another person and buy 4 of them. I was shocked at how low the rents are there. Seems like it would take a decade for enough appreciation to allow you to refi with any significant equity. Didnt seem worth it so we backed out.

Is there a better area in provo to consider?

The rich daddies of BYU kids really drive up prices around BYU. You get good appreciation but probably not good cap rate.

venomous viper 01-12-2008 12:52 PM

cap rates

Don't really work on single rentals. Most money made in real estate is from appreciation and tax savings. There are many areas better than Provo for the long run. Daddies of BYU students do tilt the prices. Great possibilities out ther RIGHT now.

jay santos 01-12-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomous viper (Post 173756)
Don't really work on single rentals. Most money made in real estate is from appreciation and tax savings. There are many areas better than Provo for the long run. Daddies of BYU students do tilt the prices. Great possibilities out ther RIGHT now.

So what's a decent expected cap rate right now?

venomous viper 01-12-2008 04:37 PM

cap rates

I've been buying real estate for 35 years and have NEVER used a cap rate on single family homes or small properties. I don't know of anyone that does. Are you looking for tax shelter, cash flow or long term appreciation. Your answer to those 3 items would determine what you should be looking for, imo.

jay santos 01-12-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venomous viper (Post 173774)
I've been buying real estate for 35 years and have NEVER used a cap rate on single family homes or small properties. I don't know of anyone that does. Are you looking for tax shelter, cash flow or long term appreciation. Your answer to those 3 items would determine what you should be looking for, imo.

Thanks, good advice.

venomous viper 01-12-2008 05:05 PM

if I did it correct,

I sent you an e-mail. Computer chat boards are not my expertise.

jay santos 01-15-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 173778)
Thanks, good advice.

NOT