cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   AP drops BYU from 15 to 18 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22245)

ute4ever 09-07-2008 05:43 PM

AP drops BYU from 15 to 18

Week 2 rankings

East Carolina jumps from 27 to 14, taking the BCS lead.

Utah holds at 22.

UCLA falls from 23 to 26 with a bye.

All-American 09-07-2008 05:50 PM

I'm trying to remind myself that it doesn't matter.

This week, seemingly every top 25 team obliterated its competition. BYU didn't look that great against a weak PAC-10 team. And frankly, unless BYU improves, it will lose a game. No way you go undefeated when you leave receivers THAT open during the last game-determining drive. So all things said, the fact that they dropped probably doesn't matter.

But it still bugs me that we dropped after WINNING a game.

It wasn't just a bad performance against a bad team. Heck, BYU jumped from 16 to 14 after beating a 6-7 UCLA in the Vegas Bowl on a blocked kick. The controversy clearly has played a part in the drop, and given the astonishingly large number of people who apparently sincerely believe that Locker just tossed the ball over his shoulder, that bugs me just a bit.

But like I said, probably won't matter in the long run.

BarbaraGordon 09-07-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 262584)
Week 2 rankings

East Carolina jumps from 27 to 14, taking the BCS lead.

Utah holds at 22.

UCLA falls from 23 to 26 with a bye.

I think it's kind of funny that tOSU dropped two and they haven't even lost to USC yet.

CJF 09-07-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 262586)
I think it's kind of funny that tOSU dropped two and they haven't even lost to USC yet.

Bucks by 3 Saturday. It's going to be a bad day for So Cal college football fans.

BarbaraGordon 09-07-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJF (Post 262587)
Bucks by 3 Saturday. It's going to be a bad day for So Cal college football fans.

Nope. The Trojans only lose to teams like Stanford at home. They won't drop the ball on a big one like this.

Plus, did you see tOSU yesterday? It wasn't pretty.

Colly Wolly 09-07-2008 05:59 PM

Bollocks!

CJF 09-07-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 262588)
Nope. The Trojans only lose to teams like Stanford at home. They won't drop the ball on a big one like this.

Plus, did you see tOSU yesterday? It wasn't pretty.

Yeah, that was classic Tressle ball yesterday. Win ugly. That's what they're going to do Saturday. Throw in the beating UCLA is going to take next Sunday will be sad place for So Cal college football fans.

BarbaraGordon 09-07-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJF (Post 262591)
Yeah, that was classic Tressle ball yesterday. Win ugly. That's what they're going to do Saturday. Throw in the beating UCLA is going to take next Sunday will be sad place for So Cal college football fans.

Hey, I gotta admit I like the way you think. But with USC having an off-week to prepare, tOSU looking sloppy and having to play *at* USC, and the Pac-10 refs heading into the UCLA game getting so much publicity for "robbing" one of their own, I remain skeptical on both counts.

CJF 09-07-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 262593)
Hey, I gotta admit I like the way you think. But with USC having an off-week to prepare, tOSU looking sloppy and having to play *at* USC, and the Pac-10 refs heading into the UCLA game getting so much publicity for "robbing" one of their own, I remain skeptical on both counts.

I do too. There won't be PAC-10 refs for the UCLA game though. Both USC and UCLA are coming off a bye. That has me more than a little concerned. OSU often looks very average before a big game so I'm not as concerned with that as I am about USC's overall great talent.

SoonerCoug 09-07-2008 06:30 PM

Early in the season, I'd rather have two games of experience than one game and a bye week. Experience>>>rest (plus an extra week of game prep) in the third week of the season.

Also, I fully expect BYU to pull out some stellar trick plays for this next game.