cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wrubell on Haws' recruiting visit (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22563)

scottie 09-16-2008 04:59 PM

Wrubell on Haws' recruiting visit

Quote:

These are heady days for Lone Peak High School standout Tyler Haws. The senior all-state star and son of BYU great Marty Haws, Tyler has narrowed his college choices to BYU and Stanford. Tyler and Marty visited Stanford a couple of weeks ago, and Tyler made his "official" visit to BYU over the weekend.

From the conversations I've had, I understand that the visit went very well, and even included Danny Ainge taking some time to speak with Marty and Tyler about Tyler's upcoming decision.

Based on what I know, there is nothing the BYU Basketball coaches could have done that they have not already done, to persuade Tyler of their genuine interest in him--and their plans to make him a focal point of the Cougar attack. It's my belief that Haws is tailor-made for Dave Rose's system and style of play (think of Tyler in the Lee Cummard role), and that both Haws and BYU would benefit from the association.

By the way, Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins is scheduled to make his initial in-home visit with the Haws family today.

I'm told Tyler will likely make his decision in the next couple of weeks, before the high school basketball season gets underway.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=4276103

BlueK 09-16-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 266086)

Do the right thing Tyler and make SU's blood boil

mpfunk 09-16-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Shocking that Wrubell thinks that BYU is the best fit for Tyler Haws. If Haws is the perfect fit for BYU, he must not like winning NCAA tournament games.

Archaea 09-16-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 266237)
Shocking that Wrubell thinks that BYU is the best fit for Tyler Haws. If Haws is the perfect fit for BYU, he must not like winning NCAA tournament games.

Leave us our own delusions, dude. You guys think you're going to heaven, and we think we might win a tournament game. Leave us be.

TripletDaddy 09-16-2008 11:13 PM

We saw Tyler Haws at the Snoasis snow cone shack in Alpine over the 4th of July. That kid is tall. And very courteous!

il Padrino Ute 09-17-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 266244)
Leave us our own delusions, dude. You guys think you're going to heaven, and we think we might win a tournament game. Leave us be.

I'd wager that folks like Gordon B. Hinkley, James E. Faust, etc. etc. are waiting in heaven, don'tcha think?

MikeWaters 09-17-2008 12:27 AM

Give the kid a break. He's already proven his good sense by eliminating Utah.

SeattleUte 09-17-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Danny Ainge, etc. should be ashamed of themselves. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can in good conscience try to persuade this kid to pick BYU over Stanford. I suppose there is more to an 18 year old male's life than participation in and pursuit of great academics. But I note that there's a fairly high incidence of highly touted Utah preps who fizzle, especially at BYU. Is he McDonald's All-America caliber? If basketball is his be all and end all he should go to UCLA.

If he goes to Stanford next thing you know they'll be trying to get him to go on a mission.

LA Ute 09-17-2008 01:19 PM

The only reasons for Haws to choose BYU

are non-athletic and non-academic. Can we all agree on that? In reality, almost no high school grad chooses BYU for purely academic reasons.

MikeWaters 09-17-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Ute (Post 266396)
are non-athletic and non-academic. Can we all agree on that? In reality, almost no high school grad chooses BYU for purely academic reasons.

who would choose Utah for academic reasons?