cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   It's time we take on a best Sitcoms ever list (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5022)

SteelBlue 11-11-2006 05:08 AM

It's time we take on a best Sitcoms ever list

Have we ever done this? I have a tough time putting these in order. I do have a clear number one though:

1) I Love Lucy. It's timeless and they didn't have the benefit of being risque. Comedy at its finest that is as watchable now as it was then.

Others I'd throw in my top 5 or so (It's hard to remember all of them):

Seinfeld
Cheers
The Andy Griffith Show
All In The Family
Everybody Loves Raymond

(I know I'm missing lots of really good old ones. I just can't remember them all).

il Padrino Ute 11-11-2006 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 44494)
Have we ever done this? I have a tough time putting these in order. I do have a clear number one though:

1) I Love Lucy. It's timeless and they didn't have the benefit of being risque. Comedy at its finest that is as watchable now as it was then.

Seinfeld
Cheers
The Andy Griffith Show
All In The Family
Everybody Loves Raymond

(I know I'm missing lots of really good old ones. I just can't remember them all).

I Love Lucy is a great show, but for me, The Andy Griffith Show will always be #1; however, the show slipped quite a bit when Don Knotts left but still managed to be very good.

My List

1. The Andy Griffith Show
2. The Munsters
3. I Love Lucy
4. Green Acres
5. Petticoat Junction

Horable mention to:

The Honeymooners
Gilligan's Island

BarbaraGordon 11-11-2006 05:06 PM

hmmm...

No votes for Mary Tyler Moore?
WKRP?

UteStar 11-11-2006 07:25 PM

There are several that HAVE to be listed even if their run is short:

Arrested Development--this sitcom was brilliant. In terms of just straight funniness, this was as good as it gets.

The Office (british): Yet another genius show. Truly terrific. The American version, if it stays active for a few more years at this quality, will also join the list.

In terms of past, I agree with several of your suggestions: Cheers, Seinfeld, Mash have to all be included. WKRP in Cincy was a terrific show. I don't know what to call them because they are not the typical comedy--but 'Sex and the City' and 'Entourage' both were groundbreaking in how they dealt with grown up issues.

Sleeping in EQ 11-11-2006 08:08 PM

Three’s Company (Yes, its template was a British show, but I don’t care)

M*A*S*H (not only a sitcom, but that too)

Cosby Show (was a little tired near the end)

All in the Family (Right up there with M*A*S*H, but for different reasons)

Seinfeld (Well written and always funny. The George character was the real anchor)

Taxi (Taxi is to Cheers what Creedence is to the Eagles)

Gilligan’s Island (Deserves the “best camp” award and created one of the all time Scout Camp questions: “Marianne or Ginger?”)

SteelBlue 11-11-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer (Post 44503)

I'd also have Friends on my list...

Friends broke the cardinal rule of good sitcoms by bringing a soap opera element to their show.

mpfunk 11-11-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 44494)

Seinfeld
Cheers
The Andy Griffith Show
All In The Family
Everybody Loves Raymond

I hate to say this, but you list sucks. Only Seinfeld and Cheers are good shows. Watching 5 minutes of Everybody Loves Raymond feels me with the desire to murder every person involved with that show.

Top 5: I'm excluding cartoons as not Sitcoms, thus the Simpsons not being included

1. Get a Life
2. Arrested Development
3. Newsradio
4. The Office (UK)
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm

UteStar 11-11-2006 09:21 PM

I forgot to actually rank the top sitcoms:

1. Cheers--it set the standard and was fresh even thru a bunch of cast changes. Not an easy accomplishment.
2. Arrested Development--Man, that was an awesome show.
3. The Office (UK)--Genius show...shockingly awkward and irreverent. Very different from the american version which is good in its own right.
4. MASH--It is sure easy to see MASH on the television and you just end up sitting there and enjoying it.

Honorable Mention: NewsRadio, Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Taxi

SteelBlue 11-11-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 44508)
I hate to say this, but you list sucks. Only Seinfeld and Cheers are good shows. Watching 5 minutes of Everybody Loves Raymond feels me with the desire to murder every person involved with that show.

I basically listed the best sitcoms by decade. I excluded the newer, non laugh track versions because I think of them as different than sitcoms. I think of them more as soapcoms. They have more of a running story. So my list basically contains the best of the:

40's/50's: Lucy
60's: Andy Griffith
70's: All in the Family
80's: Cheers
90's: Seinfeld
2000's: I like Raymond as a straight laugh track style sitcom. Others have mentioned many of my favorites such as Arrested Development. But as I said, I consider those to be a different animal.

jay santos 11-12-2006 12:48 AM

No Welcome Back Kotter?