cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A friend at work offered to build up my classical music collection (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12741)

SteelBlue 10-12-2007 11:16 PM

A friend at work offered to build up my classical music collection

My classical collection is practically non-existent and I mentioned to a co-worker that I'd like to start building it up. He said he had a "decent" collection and that he'd bring in some cd's for me today. He asked me where I wanted to start. He said "just name two composers." I said "how about Bach and Vivaldi"? He said "ok", and showed up today with 20 cd's, Bach and Vivaldi only. This is going to be quite a collection I guess.

ute4ever 10-12-2007 11:27 PM

You are in for a treat. I got into classical music when as a missionary I wanted a variety besides MoTab. I have loved it ever since. Bach and Vivaldi are fantastic. Next ask for some Wagner and Rachmaninoff. In the modern age, there are some great film scores out there.

SteelBlue 10-12-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 135450)
You are in for a treat. I got into classical music when as a missionary I wanted a variety besides MoTab. I have loved it ever since. Bach and Vivaldi are fantastic. Next ask for some Wagner and Rachmaninoff. In the modern age, there are some great film scores out there.

Anything from Wagner and/or Rachmaninoff that I should specifically request? At 10 cd's per composer I can't imagine I'll miss too much, but if I ask for something I can almost guarantee he owns it and will include it.

creekster 10-12-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 135455)
Anything from Wagner and/or Rachmaninoff that I should specifically request? At 10 cd's per composer I can't imagine I'll miss too much, but if I ask for something I can almost guarantee he owns it and will include it.

I am jealous. That is more than I have.

SteelBlue 10-13-2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 135456)
I am jealous. That is more than I have.

It's certainly way more than I need, but I'm not going to complain.

creekster 10-13-2007 02:52 AM

I am not a huge fan of Wagner, to tell you the truth. I really like Rachmaninoff's preludes. I particularly like no. 6 (I think it is 6) in G minor. There are some recordings of him playing his own compositons that are fascinating. He was a remarkable pianist as well as composer.

il Padrino Ute 10-13-2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 135455)

Wagner's Die Walküre is a terrific opera and it has the great piece "Ride of the Valkyrs" (aka "Kill the Wabbit as sung by Elmer Fudd).

I'm not much of a Rachmaninoff fan and it's because some his music is used in that cinematic rubbish known as Somewhere in Time.

SteelBlue 10-31-2007 07:19 PM

I've now borrowed most of what he thought I should hear and it's close to 100 cd's. I've begun the process of listening to them bit by bit and seeing what I really like and if there's anything I'll get rid of. I've started with Beethoven as he seems accessible to the untrained ear, and I have realized that there's nothing from him that I don't like. In particular I've discovered a song that is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. I'm embarrassed that I reached the age of 37 without having heard it (or if I have, not rememebering it). It's the second movement of his piano concerto #5. The cd I have features Claudio Arrau in one of his last performances at 88 years of age. All 3 movements are very pleasing to my ear, but that second movement is jawdropping.

I realize that to you lovers of classical music this discovery is akin to the revelation that Luke Staley got cut by the Lions, but it's been a fun find for me.

DrumNFeather 10-31-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 135450)

You just made those names up. Rachmaninoff plays for the lakers doesn't he?

MikeWaters 10-31-2007 07:41 PM

Two of my favorite: Yo-yo ma does the Bach cello suites

Also Glenn Gould's second take on the Goldberg variations.

Both of these are stark. Just a single performer.