cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cycling Computer (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24656)

Jeff Lebowski 11-11-2008 10:49 PM

Cycling Computer

I am looking to buy a bike computer. I am mainly interested in:

Distance
Speed
Heart rate

Cadence may be nice also. Calories perhaps.

Anyway, there are lots of models. Any recommendations?

I have a wireless heartrate strap that came with the treadmill. I am guessing it will work with any of these computer models. Correct assumption?

ERCougar 11-11-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 293919)
I am looking to buy a bike computer. I am mainly interested in:

Distance
Speed
Heart rate

Cadence may be nice also. Calories perhaps.

Anyway, there are lots of models. Any recommendations?

I have a wireless heartrate strap that came with the treadmill. I am guessing it will work with any of these computer models. Correct assumption?

It's not safe to assume that HR strap is compatible. Most treadmills will read Polar brand straps, so your treadmill strap may be compatible with Polar brand monitor. However, most watches/computers are brand-specific (and sometimes even monitor specific), at least in my experience. For instance, I have a Garmin that won't read my Polar strap. This is actually a good thing if you're working out around others so you don't get cross-interference (reading someone else's strap).

MikeWaters 11-11-2008 11:53 PM

what wheel do you want the speed to be read from?

Jeff Lebowski 11-12-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 293932)
It's not safe to assume that HR strap is compatible. Most treadmills will read Polar brand straps, so your treadmill strap may be compatible with Polar brand monitor. However, most watches/computers are brand-specific (and sometimes even monitor specific), at least in my experience. For instance, I have a Garmin that won't read my Polar strap. This is actually a good thing if you're working out around others so you don't get cross-interference (reading someone else's strap).

Thanks.

It's a Polar strap.

Jeff Lebowski 11-12-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 293962)
what wheel do you want the speed to be read from?

From the rear so that I can use it with my trainer.

MikeWaters 11-12-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 293971)

that's what she said.

Coach McGuirk 11-14-2008 07:04 AM

How much you want to spend?

creekster 11-14-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 293971)

Be careful for the wireless computers. Many of them claim ti be good on the rear wheel, but they don't work well.