cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chick Flicks I Like to Watch (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6038)

BigFatMeanie 01-18-2007 03:40 AM

Chick Flicks I Like to Watch

I'm watching Pride and Prejudice with Mrs. Meanie right now (the A&E edition which is widely considered to be the best edition ever made).

At the risk of being forced to surrender my man card, here are other Chick Flicks that I'm a sucker for:

- Sense and Sensibility
- An Ideal Husband
- Emma (can you sense a theme going here?)
- The Anne of Green Gables movies

I like all of these movies. To my credit, they are at least all based on reknown books or plays. Anyway, the main thing that bugs me is I'm happy and willing to watch this stuff with Mrs. Meanie; however, she is unwilling to watch any of my favorite movies (like, say, any Dirty Harry movie) with me. Are any of your wives a "one way street" when it comes to the kind of movies they'll watch? Are any of you a one way street?

RockyBalboa 01-18-2007 03:41 AM

Homo

BigFatMeanie 01-18-2007 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 54368)
Homo

Dang man, doesn't the fact that I like Clint Eastwood movies count for anything?

BarbaraGordon 01-18-2007 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 54366)
I'm watching Pride and Prejudice with Mrs. Meanie right now (the A&E edition which is widely considered to be the best edition ever made).

At the risk of being forced to surrender my man card, here are other Chick Flicks that I'm a sucker for:

- Sense and Sensibility
- An Ideal Husband
- Emma (can you sense a theme going here?)
- The Anne of Green Gables movies

I like all of these movies. To my credit, they are at least all based on reknown books or plays. Anyway, the main thing that bugs me is I'm happy and willing to watch this stuff with Mrs. Meanie; however, she is unwilling to watch any of my favorite movies (like, say, any Dirty Harry movie) with me. Are any of your wives a "one way street" when it comes to the kind of movies they'll watch? Are any of you a one way street?

I'm a one way street. If I'm following your metaphor, anyway.

I make Jason watch every John Cusak film with me, but I can't make it through any of Jason's films, which usually involve hand-to-hand combat, large things being blown up, or a combination of the two.

good call on the Austen, BTW.

BigFatMeanie 01-18-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 54376)

I make Jason watch every John Cusak film with me, but I can't make it through any of Jason's films, which usually involve hand-to-hand combat, large things being blown up, or a combination of the two.

My hypothesis is that most girls are a one way street - in other words, they demand that guys sit through their movies but they won't sit through the guy-type movies.

What's a guy supposed to do? Like Archaea said in a different thread, women hold all the cards.

BigFatMeanie 01-18-2007 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 54378)
My hypothesis is that most girls are a one way street - in other words, they demand that guys sit through their movies but they won't sit through the guy-type movies.

What's a guy supposed to do? Like Archaea said in a different thread, women hold all the cards.

Sorry - it was SoCalCoug, not Archaea:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 54321)
Here's the issue:

Most men want sex much more than women do. (We've had this discussion before, and there are, of course, exceptions).

They know this and they use it.

They, therefore, have the ultimate bargaining power.

You are assuming equal negotiation leverage. But when the man wants sex much more than the woman, there is no equal bargaining power. And there is virtually no stronger leverage than sex.

The women have the ultimate leverage. They've literally got the men by the balls.

That is why the promise rules are different for men than for women.

YOhio 01-18-2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 54376)

At least Barbara thinks your cool.

The films you mentioned are tolerable only because they were based on something with substance. Otherwise, when it comes to chick flicks, the Il Padrino Ute theory applies. If I recall correctly, if his wife want to see a movie, he automatically knows it will be bad. With that information, there are only two reasons to watch it. If you're in trouble for something or if you're looking for a reward at the end.

BarbaraGordon 01-18-2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 54380)
At least Barbara thinks your cool.

The films you mentioned are tolerable only because they were based on something with substance. Otherwise, when it comes to chick flicks, the Il Padrino Ute theory applies. If I recall correctly, if his wife want to see a movie, he automatically knows it will be bad. With that information, there are only two reasons to watch it. If you're in trouble for something or if you're looking for a reward at the end.

I bet every guy has a secret chick flick that he doesn't mind watching. You know Titanic or Princess Bride or Say Anything or something. But, then again, I'm not a guy, so I could be off base here.

cougjunkie 01-18-2007 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 54381)
I bet every guy has a secret chick flick that he doesn't mind watching. You know Titanic or Princess Bride or Say Anything or something. But, then again, I'm not a guy, so I could be off base here.

Your right mine is Basic Instinct.

Archaea 01-18-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 54381)

Debbie Does Dallas?