cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   There is a NCAA rule against "throwing the ball high in the air" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22231)

MikeWaters 09-07-2008 02:01 AM

There is a NCAA rule against "throwing the ball high in the air"

Of course the ESPN guys say that the throw wasn't high in the air.

All I know is that it was high enough to leave the viewing area.

We need someone to time how long it took to leave his hand to when it landed and then calculate the height of the throw.

So many pussies. I hope Locker takes responsibility for being a moron.

Solon 09-07-2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 262436)
Of course the ESPN guys say that the throw wasn't high in the air.

All I know is that it was high enough to leave the viewing area.

We need someone to time how long it took to leave his hand to when it landed and then calculate the height of the throw.

So many pussies. I hope Locker takes responsibility for being a moron.

You can see the ball come down a few seconds later behind Locker's head. It went really high.

MikeWaters 09-07-2008 02:06 AM

I just saw the other thread with the Pac-10 official's quote.

I think it's really silly that ESPN Mark May is saying that it wasn't a high throw in the air that qualified for a penalty.

Solon 09-07-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 262438)
I just saw the other thread with the Pac-10 official's quote.

I think it's really silly that ESPN Mark May is saying that it wasn't a high throw in the air that qualified for a penalty.

Plus, it detracts from the play of the game - the blocked kick.

The announcers are acting like a regular PAT would have been a chip-shot.

BYU blocked the kick. It's not like it fell short, because the kicker had too little leg. I know the trajectory changes slightly with the greater distance, but that kick is blocked whether it was spotted on the 1, or the 45 yard lines. BYU's front blew up the kicking team. Blew up.

TheSizzle36 09-07-2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 262439)
Plus, it detracts from the play of the game - the blocked kick.

The announcers are acting like a regular PAT would have been a chip-shot.

BYU blocked the kick. It's not like it fell short, because the kicker had too little leg. I know the trajectory changes slightly with the greater distance, but that kick is blocked whether it was spotted on the 1, or the 45 yard lines. BYU's front blew up the kicking team. Blew up.

Exactly. I laughed my head off at everybody screaming that the refs decided the game. No, BYU decided the game by getting push and blocking the PAT.

Cali Coug 09-07-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 262444)
Exactly. I laughed my head off at everybody screaming that the refs decided the game. No, BYU decided the game by getting push and blocking the PAT.

Not only that, but the extra point was to TIE the game. Given BYU's offensive success, does anyone think UW could have stopped BYU from the 25? Really? The game should have ended with Unga. Right result regardless. BYU outplayed them and deserved to win.

Brian 09-07-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 262449)
Not only that, but the extra point was to TIE the game. Given BYU's offensive success, does anyone think UW could have stopped BYU from the 25? Really? The game should have ended with Unga. Right result regardless. BYU outplayed them and deserved to win.

you forget that they would also have had to stop UW. That is not a gimme.
Congrats on your less than impressive win over a high school team and a squeaker over a suspect PAC-10 team. But, hey, whatever it takes to finally get an non-conf. road win.

UtahDan 09-07-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 262449)

Guess we'll never know.

TheAzzuri 09-07-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 262451)
you forget that they would also have had to stop UW. That is not a gimme.
Congrats on your less than impressive win over a high school team and a squeaker over a suspect PAC-10 team. But, hey, whatever it takes to finally get an non-conf. road win.

Congrats vs. UNLV as well.
________
Avandia Settlement

TheAzzuri 09-07-2008 03:40 AM

The call was the right one. The rule, however, is completely stupid.
________
Kids Wellbutrin