cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Gardens (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20830)

YOhio 07-11-2008 03:36 AM

Gardens

Does anybody have any vegetables in yet? I've had jalapenos for a couple of weeks, but more importantly, I just got my first cucumber. My tomatoes are coming in soon and then fresh veggies for a couple of months straight.

TripletDaddy 07-11-2008 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 240785)
Does anybody have any vegetables in yet? I've had jalapenos for a couple of weeks, but more importantly, I just got my first cucumber. My tomatoes are coming in soon and then fresh veggies for a couple of months straight.

This is filthy, even for cougarguard.

YOhio 07-11-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 240787)
This is filthy, even for cougarguard.

I don't get it.

SteelBlue 07-11-2008 03:46 AM

I've got pimientos in but not my red hots or green bells yet. Of my 9 tomato plants, only 1 has any tomatoes on it. I have no idea what's wrong, they're flowering like crazy so maybe the bees aren't cooperating. I had yellow squash stir fried in olive oil along with a lettuce and spinach salad last night, all from the garden. Corn is tasseling, but seems short (about waist high) and this heat is taking a toll. I look forward to corn the most so I'll be disappointed if it fails. The vegetable I'm getting the most of is eggplant. I have ichibans and we get enough from one plant to have it one night a week for the two of us who eat them.

il Padrino Ute 07-11-2008 03:53 AM

Tomatoes are coming along nicely as is the squash. Cucumbers are starting to look like they want to show themselves. Bell peppers are not cooperating at all, nor are the carrots. W had some beets and beet greens for dinner tonight and they were awesome.

Strawberries are looking good and the gooseberries are green, but will ripen in the next week or two.

YOhio 07-11-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 240797)
I've got pimientos in but not my red hots or green bells yet. Of my 9 tomato plants, only 1 has any tomatoes on it. I have no idea what's wrong, they're flowering like crazy so maybe the bees aren't cooperating. I had yellow squash stir fried in olive oil along with a lettuce and spinach salad last night, all from the garden. Corn is tasseling, but seems short (about waist high) and this heat is taking a toll. I look forward to corn the most so I'll be disappointed if it fails. The vegetable I'm getting the most of is eggplant. I have ichibans and we get enough from one plant to have it one night a week for the two of us who eat them.

Sounds awesome. How do you keep the insects away from your lettuce and spinach? Did you plant zuccini along with your yellow squash?

FarrahWaters 07-11-2008 03:59 AM

My lettuce and spinach is long gone in this summer heat, but they produced well in the spring. My cherry tomatoes produced last month, and my romas were coming in well. I made a big batch of tomato sauce with them.

However, something rodent like (squirrel or rat) has eaten the rest of my romas.

We have two plum trees. Squirrels and birds took care of all the fruit before it ripened this year.

We have two fig trees. We haven't gotten one fig to ripen in the 5 years we've had them. (Netting over the top didn't help).

So basically, all the critters in my yard are well-fed.

SteelBlue 07-11-2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 240806)
Sounds awesome. How do you keep the insects away from your lettuce and spinach? Did you plant zuccini along with your yellow squash?

So far I haven't had any insect problems. I'm hoping it stays that way but you know how it goes. The wife does mash up some hot peppers and sprays it on the leaves but I have my doubts that it really helps.

Yeah, I planted 2 zuccini plants which should feed us and 3 other families. They are just starting to come in.

YOhio 07-11-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 240813)
So basically, all the critters in my yard are well-fed.

Little bastards. I hate critters.

Levin 07-11-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 240823)
Little bastards. I hate critters.

The deer eat everything where I'm from . . . and I live in a city. We need some wolves back here. I put some coyote pee pellets around my yard, but it hasn't helped. They know it's a ploy.