cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kruger--I listened to his interview on Rome (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7138)

jay santos 03-19-2007 07:53 PM

Kruger--I listened to his interview on Rome

while driving around during lunch.

I give him about a 5% chance of coaching in Vegas next year. His son's graduating, and he's already talking in the past tense about his time in Vegas.

Utah ought to grab a coach fast before UNLV's job is open.

myboynoah 03-19-2007 07:58 PM

Exactly. That CHill hasn't sewn someone up by now doesn't bode well for the search. I suspect other jobs might come on line offering more options for those the Utes are targeting.

UteStar 03-19-2007 08:21 PM

The UNLV job is an enigma. A lot of coaches stay clear of that area simply because of the ease of potential problems. They will get some coaches interested but they will get a lot more that will not coach there.

To be honest, I am not quite sure how they got Kruger. But, their alums and many others are really pushing for them to go after Theus if Kruger leaves. I don't see UNLV really being a huge contender for a bunch of coaches to Utah.

There is no surprise that Hill has not found someone yet. Monty and Krysko appear to be the main targets . Few expected Monty to leave retirement for the job...and Krysko took an NBA head coaching job. Not a big surprise. Most people thought that the earliest that Utah would get a new coach would be this week (after the first weekend of the tourney). I woudn't be surprised if it still takes another week due to the tourney and interviewing schedules, etc.

DrumNFeather 03-19-2007 08:23 PM

Seems like Theus would be the leading candidate for the job if/when Kruger leaves

Goatnapper'96 03-19-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 66333)
The UNLV job is an enigma. A lot of coaches stay clear of that area simply because of the ease of potential problems. They will get some coaches interested but they will get a lot more that will not coach there.

To be honest, I am not quite sure how they got Kruger. But, their alums and many others are really pushing for them to go after Theus if Kruger leaves. I don't see UNLV really being a huge contender for a bunch of coaches to Utah.

There is no surprise that Hill has not found someone yet. Monty and Krysko appear to be the main targets . Few expected Monty to leave retirement for the job...and Krysko took an NBA head coaching job. Not a big surprise. Most people thought that the earliest that Utah would get a new coach would be this week (after the first weekend of the tourney). I woudn't be surprised if it still takes another week due to the tourney and interviewing schedules, etc.

Theus is what Vegas needs. He will come in and recruit a bunch of superstars with marginal backgrounds. He will get Gucci Row returning to glory and the old boy will dress like a million bucks. Honestly, is RT the coolest dresser in all of college hoops? The team will reflect all of the Tark good ol memories in all ways save fundamentals and performance on the court. The Rebs will routinely underachieve as Theus is not a real good coach, but he will recruit to Vegas like nobody has recruited in the MWC so the team will win a lot on just talent.

Then he will get UNLV back on probation because the NCAA is against the Rebels and punishes UNLV just because they don't like them.

Then UNLV and BYU can have a stringpulling competition between fanbases.

Oh ya, Utah will probably still suck and every 3rd post on Utefans will quote the 11th best program in NCAA history myth that many Ute fans still seem to genuinely believe reflects today's reality. Personally, I can live with it.

jay santos 03-19-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 66342)
Theus is what Vegas needs. He will come in and recruit a bunch of superstars with marginal backgrounds. He will get Gucci Row returning to glory and the old boy will dress like a million bucks. Honestly, is RT the coolest dresser in all of college hoops? The team will reflect all of the Tark good ol memories in all ways save fundamentals and performance on the court. The Rebs will routinely underachieve as Theus is not a real good coach, but he will recruit to Vegas like nobody has recruited in the MWC so the team will win a lot on just talent.

Then he will get UNLV back on probation because the NCAA is against the Rebels and punishes UNLV just because they don't like them.

Oh ya, Utah will probably still suck and every 3rd post on Utefans will quote the 11th best program in NCAA history myth that many Ute fans still seem to genuinely believe reflects today's reality. Personally, I can live with it.

Is it 11th or 9th? I thought it was 9th.

mpfunk 03-19-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 66329)
Exactly. That CHill hasn't sewn someone up by now doesn't bode well for the search. I suspect other jobs might come on line offering more options for those the Utes are targeting.

UNLV is not a threat to the Ute job. Guarantee if Kruger leaves that UNLV goes after Reggie Theus.

The only way that Dr Hill could have the search done by now is to not take a chance at some of the guys in the tournament. Even Jim Boylen was off limits until Michigan St was knocked off.

I really think when it is all said and done the new coach of Utah will be (in order of likelihood) Jim Boylen, Blaine Taylor or Gregg Marshall. I am hoping for Marshall, the least likely of the group.

mpfunk 03-19-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 66342)

Nothing like shit talk from a fan of a program that has advanced past the second round of the NCAA tournament a grand total of once, and hasn't won a tournament game in over 10 years.

The MWC lost a lot and it is wide open next year. The Utes with the right coaching hire, could easily be back in the top 3 of the conference and with the right breaks could win it. Mr Napper, you need to stop taking smack lessons from the likes of Utes38 these days.

Insensitive PAP 03-20-2007 12:10 AM

The weird thing about UNLV this year is. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 66328)
while driving around during lunch.

I give him about a 5% chance of coaching in Vegas next year. His son's graduating, and he's already talking in the past tense about his time in Vegas.

Utah ought to grab a coach fast before UNLV's job is open.

that 3 of the 5 seniors have already graduated and the other 2 are graduating in a couple weeks. They also never get in trouble. Krueger is a really good coach, and I hope he stays or my season tickets will devalue.

Of course, looking at Krueger's history, he doesn't stick around for long if a better opportunity comes up. UNLV is in for a rebuilding year next season with sky high expectations, so it might not be the worst time for him to leave.

Theus is the natural fit. He's strung together a decent resume in a short period of time. He openly campainged for the UNLV job when Krueger got it, but they told him to go and get more experience.

Detroitdad 03-20-2007 06:39 AM

As of now the only job that is open that I am aware of that is better than UNLV is Michigan. Maybe they will make a run at him, but if they don't he might not have anywhere high profile to go. Maybe Kentucky if Tubby decides to go to Michigan or something.