cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Gym membership or own equipment? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15307)

cambo 12-26-2007 03:57 PM

Gym membership or own equipment?

So let's say you already own a bench and 300# weight set, but now have been presented with the opportunity to get a 3 year gym membership for 5 bucks a month through your employer. The gym membership would go up to 10 bucks a month if you left the company. Would you get the gym membership to go along with your equipment at home? Or would you take the money you would spend on the gym membership and buy another piece of equipment like a treadmill?

Runner Coug 12-26-2007 05:44 PM

Depends on the gym. If it's a small local gym without many amenities, I'd probably buy the treadmill. If it's a chain gym with pool, sauna, hot tubs, etc, I'd definetely go with the gym membership. You'd have access to a treadmill and much more for 5 bucks a month...that's a great deal.

cambo 12-26-2007 05:55 PM

It's Golds Gym

RockyBalboa 12-26-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 167039)
It's Golds Gym

There's lots of chicks from the Holladay-4 Singles Wards they split up a couple years ago that go there. (The one on Van Winkle).

SteelBlue 12-26-2007 07:03 PM

Did you get a time machine? What kind of gym has a $10 membership? This is a no brainer Cambo, use them for their other equipment. I have exactly what you described in my garage and I have a $50/month gym membership for the wife. They allow for 2 hours of child care daily as part of that membership. She puts 2 kids in there every day while she works out and that would cost us $5-10/hr everyday if they didn't provide it. It pays itself off in childcare costs alone.

Runner Coug 12-26-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 167039)
It's Golds Gym

Good hell, that's a crazy good deal then. Sign up before they change their minds. I pay $100 a month at Lifetime Fitness for my wife and I and our 4 kids.

SteelBlue 12-26-2007 07:11 PM

Also, I need to ask what kind of a crappy treadmill are you going to get for $60 if you don't join the gym? There isn't a treadmill worth buying for under $1,000.

cambo 12-26-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 167066)
Also, I need to ask what kind of a crappy treadmill are you going to get for $60 if you don't join the gym? There isn't a treadmill worth buying for under $1,000.

LOL...I wouldn't buy a crappy treadmill. I would buy a nice one. But then I would have it for much longer than 3 years and I'm just trying to decide what benefits me the most.

The Golds Gym deal is through my company and its a perk they are not changing any time soon. If you sign up for 3 years then you pay 5 bucks a month and if you quit before the 3 years is up then you have to pay out what the company was putting into the contract...which amounts to another 5 bucks a month. It is a pretty sweet deal. But, I know I will not be at this company for 3 years. I don't even know if I can make it another year.

I've never had a gym membership so I don't know how committed I am to going to a gym and I generally prefer to work out at home and go running on the Jordan River walkway by my house. I just don't want to run in the cold. No way am I running in the cold. That's why I've thought about getting a treadmill for the winter months. I'd then have everything I need at home. The question is...do I want to spend the extra cash to get a nice treadmill.

Runner Coug 12-26-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cambo (Post 167089)
I've never had a gym membership so I don't know how committed I am to going to a gym and I generally prefer to work out at home and go running on the Jordan River walkway by my house. I just don't want to run in the cold. No way am I running in the cold. That's why I've thought about getting a treadmill for the winter months. I'd then have everything I need at home. The question is...do I want to spend the extra cash to get a nice treadmill.

I'm happier running 20 miles in the cold than I am running 5 miles on a mill. I can't stand them. As long as I'm not running on ice or deep snow, I'm fine. I have a treadmill at my house, and when the weather's bad enough that I have to run on a treadmill, I go to the gym. For some reason, it's just more bearable. And for $5 a month, I don't know how committed to going you'll have to be. Go once or twice a month and just sit in the sauna, and you'll have your money's worth.

Which part of the Jordan River Parkway do you run on? I do most of mine on the section from 12400 South to 14600 South. I'm looking forward to the day when the whole thing is connected. That would be great.

cambo 12-26-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 167097)
And for $5 a month, I don't know how committed to going you'll have to be. Go once or twice a month and just sit in the sauna, and you'll have your money's worth.

Which part of the Jordan River Parkway do you run on? I do most of mine on the section from 12400 South to 14600 South. I'm looking forward to the day when the whole thing is connected. That would be great.

True...5 bucks a month is basically nothing. I'll probably go that route.

For the Jordan River Parkway...I'm down in Murray around 4800 south to 6000 south.