cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   softball world series (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8776)

MikeWaters 06-03-2007 03:14 AM

softball world series

I caught a little bit on ESPN this afternoon. I was flipping through and saw that A&M was playing. Bob Brock, coach of 3 national championships while at A&M, was my next door neighbor growing up.

I knew that A&M didn't value softball too much because he lived in my neighborhood, and not in Jackie Sherrill's neighborhood. (one of the interesting things about College Station was that though I grew up at the very bottom end of the middle class and lived in a very modest home 1200sqft, Jackie Sherrill lived only 4 blocks away).

Bob was a great guy. His son Steve drove a jacked up toyota 4x4 pickup, which I thought was about the coolest thing in the world.

Anyway, as I was watching A&M today, I had the following thought: A&M recruits based on hitting, fielding, pitching, and looks. And that is not necessarily in order of importance. I've never seen a collection of athletes that good looking. Who says you have to be butch to play softball?

From watching the World Series, I gathered that A&M is finally good for the first time since the Brock halcyon days.

MikeWaters 06-03-2007 03:18 AM

btw, I talked to a source who tells me that the current coach is an LDS lesbian.

I don't know if this is true.

So now I am left to reconcile this with the non-butchness of the A&M players?

My mind is spinning!

il Padrino Ute 06-03-2007 03:45 AM

I can't comment on softball, but A&M is hosting one of the regionals in the College Baseball Tournament.

I watched UC Irvine beat Texas today. Good game. Cal State Fullerton and Fresno State are playing right now on ESPNU. This will be a good one.

cougjunkie 06-03-2007 04:05 AM

I dont think the College Worlds Series for baseball or softball gets enough pub. It is fun to watch and very exciting. Of course i was a lot more interested in softball during the Jennie Finch era.

il Padrino Ute 06-03-2007 04:24 AM

If you want to see a great example of aggressive hitting and base running, switch to ESPNU right now and watch this Cal State Fullerton/Fresno State. game. The Titans are really putting on a clinic of the hit and run.

cougjunkie 06-03-2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 86453)
If you want to see a great example of aggressive hitting and base running, switch to ESPNU right now and watch this Cal State Fullerton/Fresno State. game. The Titans are really putting on a clinic of the hit and run.

I am watching this game as we speak. Also the number overall seed Vandy is about to fall to Michigan down 3-1 in the 8th.

Archaea 06-03-2007 06:15 AM

A fellow LDS lesbian? What's his name, maybe Goat and I know him.

Requiem 06-04-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 86463)
A fellow LDS lesbian? What's his name, maybe Goat and I know him.

Tacky even by your questionable standards Arch. Actually, the NCAA softball championship series beginning tonight is a terrific matchup. Arizona vs. Tennessee in a best of three series. I have great respect for Arizona's program. Mike Candrea coaches with class and dignity. They reached the finals without a dominating pitcher (great to see Jennie Finch in the dugout) and a young, tenacious team. Go Cats!

BarbaraGordon 06-04-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 86712)
Tacky even by your questionable standards Arch. Actually, the NCAA softball championship series beginning tonight is a terrific matchup. Arizona vs. Tennessee in a best of three series. I have great respect for Arizona's program. Mike Candrea coaches with class and dignity. They reached the finals without a dominating pitcher (great to see Jennie Finch in the dugout) and a young, tenacious team. Go Cats!

Have you ever been to the series? It's hosted just a few miles up the interstate here, at the Softball Hall of Fame.

MikeWaters 06-04-2007 05:01 PM

Requiem, WNBA and softball both have the reputation for being lesbian-heavy. Is this true, or just rumor mongering?

On softball teams with a few lesbians, is it an issue ever, meaning do teams have a lesbian-clique and a non-lesbian-clique?