cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "Class Warfare" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15854)

Ma'ake 01-13-2008 04:51 PM

"Class Warfare"

The word "liberal" has been turned into a pejorative for political purpose, to the point where Bush and others struggle to explain how Iraq's democracy needs to mature. Iraq clearly needs to progress from a tyranny-of-the-majority democracy toward more of a *liberal* democracy, the classical term for the more enlightened model we are blessed with & thrive in, where protection of minority & women's rights are valued & preserved.

(It's almost as though in the back rooms of GOP political posturing the discussion has been "what word can we use to describe this 'liberal democracy' term our forefathers so mistakenly used?")

In similar fashion, the term "class warfare" has been abused, exaggerated and applied to those who wonder if it's best for society that so many are comfortably affluent while others struggle with decisions like whether they pay the heat bill or buy the medicine they need.

"Class warfare!" is the reflexive cry, as though a communist insurgency is the imminent risk in any kind of discussion of equity for hard work, or for caring for those who are not as priviledged or gifted with ability.

Curiously, the same who liberally employ the class warfare label are so often silent when abuses of position result in grotesque largesse for C-class executives who orchestrate opulent rewards for themselves while their companies and employees suffer debilitating loss. Yet, Sarbanes Oxley, along with prudent & targeted taxes are seen as the real insults against freedom & prosperity.

This over-the-top "class warfare" characterization is certainly far from unique coming from those who are "Right". In the recent school vouchers defeat, some in the voucher camp referred to the current public school system as being "Soviet-like". (REALLY!?!)

Fortunately, level heads prevailed in that dispute - over the desires of the Legislature, as would many ideas if the governning actually respresented the governed in Utah - as are common-sense ideas for addressing the disappearing American middle class, in this campaign season.

"Class Warfare!"

How unbecoming, something expected from the likes of Leona Helmsley in distinguishing herself from society's "little people".

Rejoin the thoughtful debate & choose a different term.

YOhio 01-13-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma'ake (Post 173947)

Rejoin the thoughtful debate & choose a different term.

If liberals stop using the term "progressives" to describe themselves, then you have a deal. Until then, both sides will get to manipulate language as much as they'd like.

il Padrino Ute 01-13-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 173958)
If liberals stop using the term "progressives" to describe themselves, then you have a deal. Until then, both sides will get to manipulate language as much as they'd like.

Amen, brother.

Liberals are just as guilty as conservatives when it comes to trying to paint themselves as a better choice. Words like "progressive" "tolerant" and the such simply do not characterize the liberals of today.

TripletDaddy 01-13-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 173958)

The difference being that "libs" use the term "progressive" to describe themselves. Conservatives use the term "liberal" as a pejorative to describe others.

Is there a negative equivalent used by libs to describe conservatives?

Narrow minded, judgmental a-holes, maybe? Just guessin'.:p

il Padrino Ute 01-13-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 173966)
The difference being that "libs" use the term "progressive" to describe themselves. Conservatives use the term "liberal" as a pejorative to describe others.

You are correct that liberals use the term progressive to describe themselves, which is exactly what the problem is. Progressive is not what they are.

Liberals use the term "religious right" as a pejorative to describe conservatives.

YOhio 01-13-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 173966)

Neo-con is used as a perjorative.

When describing oneself as a progressive, you're creating the impression that your political opponents are regressive. It's a silly language game that both sides play.

TripletDaddy 01-13-2008 10:19 PM

Religious right, for sure. I had forgotten about that one.

I admit to throwing out a "neo-con" every now and then, just to see if it sticks.

I am not offended by the term "liberal," but I know many are. I think the term "progressive" is pretty silly. I think I would have a hard time holding off a smirk if someone described themselves as "progressive."

What about you narrow-minded neo-cons? Are you offended by the term "religious right?"

TripletDaddy 01-13-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 173969)
When describing oneself as a progressive, you're creating the impression that your political opponents are regressive. It's a silly language game that both sides play.

For this reason, I find the term "liberal" as a negative to be ridiculous. Who would not want to be liberal towards all mankind? What is the opposite of liberal? Restrictive? Confining? Who wants to admit to that?

il Padrino Ute 01-13-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 173983)
Religious right, for sure. I had forgotten about that one.

I admit to throwing out a "neo-con" every now and then, just to see if it sticks.

I am not offended by the term "liberal," but I know many are. I think the term "progressive" is pretty silly. I think I would have a hard time holding off a smirk if someone described themselves as "progressive."

What about you narrow-minded neo-cons? Are you offended by the term "religious right?"

Me? No.

Personally, I think the terms thrown out by both sides are more of a reflection of the ones throwing them out there (myself included) than those for whom they are intended to insult.

DJRoss 01-13-2008 10:24 PM

My favorite pejorative thrown in my face is that I belong to the Taliban Wing of the GOP.

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/i/u/7JsYfmAq.jpg

I KILL YOU!