cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The censoring hammer is hitting hard on CB (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29829)

MikeWaters 09-16-2016 07:31 PM

The censoring hammer is hitting hard on CB

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16522016

They are requiring any post with any ounce of gay in it to be listed under their "gay category".

Why? Those are hidden from the public who just browse the site.

That's probably a good thing for BYU's chances. Because the troglodytes who make up most of CB really come across poorly as they rant and rave against gays.

There's a fair number that are voicing opposing opinions. A lot more than 10 years ago, when sometimes I felt I was in a minority of just a few people.

MikeWaters 09-16-2016 07:31 PM

and yes, I was recently given a 7 day suspension for starting a post where I said that BYU will likely find its way back to a reformed MWC.

Which is what I believe is actually going to happen.

SeattleUte 09-16-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322133)
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16522016

They are requiring any post with any ounce of gay in it to be listed under their "gay category".

Why? Those are hidden from the public who just browse the site.

That's probably a good thing for BYU's chances. Because the troglodytes who make up most of CB really come across poorly as they rant and rave against gays.

There's a fair number that are voicing opposing opinions. A lot more than 10 years ago, when sometimes I felt I was in a minority of just a few people.

The gay category is itself segregationist and offensive.

Why don't we start a blog and excoriate cougarboard as a fascist organ, using repeated examples like this?

MikeWaters 09-16-2016 10:57 PM

Yes, why don't I start a website where people aren't censored and can say what they want and criticize CB if they want.

Why have I never thought of that before?

:|

MikeWaters 09-16-2016 10:58 PM

btw, I am frequently mocked on CB by posters I don't know as lording over a failed website.0.

SeattleUte 09-16-2016 11:07 PM

I mean a site narrowly tailored only to attack and critique cougarboard, which has become kind of a monstrosity and sort of BYU football's Pravda. I think the narrow focus would attract a lot of attention. Like a blog, but allowing comments. Call it Cougarboard watchdog. Every day we post an outrage. I'd make all the comments that might put someone at risk of getting exed. You can call yourself Mikewaters (or a more opaque pseudonym). I'd prefer to use my real name.

call it cougarborard watchdog.

MikeWaters 09-16-2016 11:16 PM

nobody cares what outrageous things are said on CB. Well, actually, El Jefe cares a little bit. But that's kind of the purpose of a message board. To vent and say outrageous things.

I think to some degree a place like a football message board is a barometer for the culture. But it's a narrow slice. And it certainly doesn't represent the best and most enlightened, or even the middle road average person.

Archaea 09-17-2016 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322141)
nobody cares what outrageous things are said on CB. Well, actually, El Jefe cares a little bit. But that's kind of the purpose of a message board. To vent and say outrageous things.

I think to some degree a place like a football message board is a barometer for the culture. But it's a narrow slice. And it certainly doesn't represent the best and most enlightened, or even the middle road average person.

I have been permanently banned for religion, gay discussion or anything considered controversial. I met many of the posters and friends there, but its administration exercises very tight supervision over any sensitive subject. I would suspect the moderators are offspring of Ernie Wilkerson.

MikeWaters 09-17-2016 01:31 AM

I am banned from most non-sports related categories as well

religion
gays
current events
family/relationships
politics

Maybe a couple of others.

MikeWaters 09-17-2016 01:52 AM

Jefe is strict about his categorization of posts, in part, because it allows people to customize their experience. People can block all posts about gays if they have the gay category on ignore.

He's in a little bit of a bind, I would think, in that Big 12 news and speculation is driving a lot of traffic, but much of the discussion is about gay rights which he wants to sequester in the gay category (which is less visible).

But you know what, it's his site, he can control it anyway he feels, to make the site of his liking. He doesn't have put up with TripletDaddy if he doesn't want to.