cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So BYU has its first recruiting penalty thanks to volleyball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17623)

Archaea 03-12-2008 02:45 PM

So BYU has its first recruiting penalty thanks to volleyball

After reading the Peterson explanation, it sure seems hyper-technical, but the NCAA is a bunch of ninnies.

It kinda reminds me of Majerus cookiegate.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/

DrumNFeather 03-12-2008 02:49 PM

Did I read correctly in the article that the coach resigned as a result?

Archaea 03-12-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 197158)
Did I read correctly in the article that the coach resigned as a result?

Yes, Peterson resigned a year or two ago.

Giving a ride from the airport is a violation? Geeze. Letting a guy room with you is a violation?

Some of those things seem other worldly.

It more seems like UCLA coach Don Scates campaigned against BYU because he couldn't beat them recently on the court.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 197159)
Yes, Peterson resigned a year or two ago.

Giving a ride from the airport is a violation? Geeze. Letting a guy room with you is a violation?

Some of those things seem other worldly.

It more seems like UCLA coach Don Scates campaigned against BYU because he couldn't beat them recently on the court.

Reverend Lovejoy holding a Bible: "...oh just about everything is a sin, have you ever sat down and read this thing? Technically we're not allowed to go to the bathroom."

Same pretty much goes with the 1,100 page NCAA rules and regulations.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 02:56 PM

What, a $17,000 payment from a booster to aid a player is an NCAA violation??? I had no idea!!!

Archaea 03-12-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197162)
What, a $17,000 payment from a booster to aid a player is an NCAA violation??? I had no idea!!!

I didn't quite understand how that came about.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

It wasn't to a player. The aid came with the understanding that the person would not be eligible for collegiate athletics afterwards.

Quote:

"What would any decent person have done?" asks Peterson. "This booster even now believes he did the
right thing for this young man, who later joined the LDS church. The booster told
the young man that if he accepted assistance he would not be able to play
volleyball for BYU.
This defection and assistance given had nothing to do with
the recruitment of a volleyball player."

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197174)
It wasn't to a player. The aid came with the understanding that the person would not be eligible for collegiate athletics afterwards.

This doesn't sound like an obvious violation?

Quote:

This representative also provided approximately $13,000 in impermissible recruiting inducements to another prospective men's volleyball student-athlete after the young man defected from Cuba and while participating with the Cuban National Volleyball Team in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. These impermissible inducements included use of an automobile, clothing and free lodging. The representative also paid approximately $8,000 in legal fees to attorneys assisting with the prospective student-athlete's immigration issues, which were associated with the young man's defection from Cuba. This prospect did not enroll at Brigham Young or at any NCAA member institution.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:31 PM

Well at least BYU can't claim holier-than-thou status anymore. We're in the same boat as OK and SMU now. Of course, we are on the deck, while they are at the bottom of the boat in the muck. But same boat.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197190)
This doesn't sound like an obvious violation?

The NCAA is using the broadest possible definition of a "prospective men's volleyball student-athlete".

Quote:

This prospect did not enroll at Brigham Young or at any NCAA member institution.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197196)
The NCAA is using the broadest possible definition of a "prospective men's volleyball student-athlete".

So I make inducements to someone that I hope will play for BYU, but ends up not playing at BYU, then I have committed no wrong?

You know that's not true.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197199)
So I make inducements to someone that I hope will play for BYU, but ends up not playing at BYU, then I have committed no wrong?

You know that's not true.

I've already provided the quote that showed the assistance came WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that the person would no longer be eligible to participate in athletics. Thus, it's no inducement, and the NCAA has mischaracterized the assistance.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197219)
I've already provided the quote that showed the assistance came WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that the person would no longer be eligible to participate in athletics. Thus, it's no inducement, and the NCAA has mischaracterized the assistance.

So they say. Yeah, I gave the star Cuban volleyball player all this assistance with our private understanding this would mean he would not play for us.

Yeah, right.

I can see why the NCAA would be skeptical, and why you would not.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197221)
So they say. Yeah, I gave the star Cuban volleyball player all this assistance with our private understanding this would mean he would not play for us.

Yeah, right.

Maybe they should have put him in Guantanamo. The assistance was clearly humanitarian in nature and clearly not an effort to win a recruiting war. The person signed no LOI and did not appeal his eligibility. There is no evidence that he received assistance while BYU viewed him as a recruitable athlete.

Cali Coug 03-12-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

I do love it was called "humanitarian aid." lol!

Cali Coug 03-12-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197224)
Maybe they should have put him in Guantanamo. The assistance was clearly humanitarian in nature and clearly not an effort to win a recruiting war. The person signed no LOI and did not appeal his eligibility. There is no evidence that he received assistance while BYU viewed him as a recruitable athlete.

Who cares if he signed an LOI? All that does is bind you to go somewhere to play. Instead, he just enrolled and played for 2 years.

It looks bad, Indy. Even you should be able to admit that.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 197248)
Who cares if he signed an LOI? All that does is bind you to go somewhere to play. Instead, he just enrolled and played for 2 years.

The player in question did not play for anyone. It's not Cala.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...6&postcount=10

myboynoah 03-12-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 197248)

The guy that received the assistance did not play at BYU or anywhere else. I guess one could argue that assisting the teamate had a favorable impression on Cala to play for BYU. What a round about way to get a recruit.

Mormons game the system in such strange ways (think back to the Olympics).

Thank goodness no cookies were offered.

Spaz 03-12-2008 05:30 PM

I'm having a hard time putting any blame here on the booster or coach, based on the available information. Seems like a NCAA over-reaction to me.

Cali Coug 03-12-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197250)
The player in question did not play for anyone. It's not Cala.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...6&postcount=10

Where did your quote come from in the link? According to the Trib, it was believed to be Cala.

http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_8535554

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 197314)
Where did your quote come from in the link? According to the Trib, it was believed to be Cala.

http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_8535554

The SL Trib "believed" it to be Cala, but clearly from Peterson and his attorney's response, it was somebody else.

RockyBalboa 03-12-2008 06:52 PM

Honestly I could care less.

The only 2 sports I care about are football and basketball.

I don't envy the Yewt "fan" relegated to cheering for sports that no one gives a shit about.

il Padrino Ute 03-12-2008 07:18 PM

Imagine that. Indy not thinking it's a big deal.

Remember how you railed against majerus about cookiegate and extra practice hours?

Majerus cheated. So did the BYU volleyball coach.

Why is that hard for you to accept?

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 197371)
Imagine that. Indy not thinking it's a big deal.

Remember how you railed against majerus about cookiegate and extra practice hours?

Majerus cheated. So did the BYU volleyball coach.

Why is that hard for you to accept?

The issue is whether or not a person received benefits in an effort to get them to play at BYU. Not only did they not play at BYU, but they didn't get assistance until they understood it would mean they couldn't play at BYU.

Not a difficult concept to understand.

MikeWaters 03-12-2008 07:28 PM

There is a difference between technical cheating and malicious knowing cheating.

Signed,
Indy Coug

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 197376)
There is a difference between technical cheating and malicious knowing cheating.

Signed,
Indy Coug

It wasn't even technical cheating.

Quote:

As for $17,000 provided to a second Cuban athlete, Peterson denies any
failure to monitor the situation, and does not agree that this matter even belongs in
the NCAA investigation. BYU initially agreed.
Quote:

This second Cuban showed up on a booster's doorstep as a refugee who
would be deported back to his country but for humanitarian aid. The $17,000 is an
eye-catching figure characterized by the NCAA as inducements given by a booster.
But virtually all the money identified in this investigation was paid to private legal
counsel to have this individual stay in the United States.

"What would any decent person have done?" asks Peterson. "This booster even now believes he did the right thing for this young man, who later joined the LDS church. The booster told the young man that if he accepted assistance he would not be able to play volleyball for BYU. This defection and assistance given had nothing to do with
the recruitment of a volleyball player."

il Padrino Ute 03-12-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197374)
The issue is whether or not a person received benefits in an effort to get them to play at BYU. Not only did they not play at BYU, but they didn't get assistance until they understood it would mean they couldn't play at BYU.

If it wasn't cheating, why did the coach resign?

Cheating is cheating.

jay santos 03-12-2008 09:16 PM

If you believe the coach's version, then both BYU's firing of the coach and the NCAA penalties are very severe, and the wrongdoing was of a technical nature and not done purposefully to gain advantage (i.e. a bishop letting poor international students use a bike for free and someone taking pity on a Cuban refugee and putting up lawyer fees, etc.--nice things that would have done no matter if the recipients were athletes). Also, he accused his assistants of lying about him with motive to steal his job and BYU using him as a scapegoat (wouldn't be the first time).

His story is plausible but certainly one-sided.

BigFatMeanie 03-12-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197316)
The SL Trib "believed" it to be Cala, but clearly from Peterson and his attorney's response, it was somebody else.

The DNews article said that it was one of Cala's friends or teammates in Cuba or something like that - not Cala.

Goatnapper'96 03-12-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 197424)
If it wasn't cheating, why did the coach resign?

Cheating is cheating.

Why did the coach resign? It is almost as if Indy might believe that at the LDS Church owned University perception means *almost* as much as the truth.

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 197492)
Why did the coach resign? It is almost as if Indy might believe that at the LDS Church owned University perception means *almost* as much as the truth.

There's "resign" and "resign with a gun to your head".

jay santos 03-12-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 197493)
There's "resign" and "resign with a gun to your head".

Michaelis, Hale, Crowton, Peterson. That's resigning "BYU style".

Indy Coug 03-12-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 197501)
Michaelis, Hale, Crowton, Peterson. That's resigning "BYU style".

Which is only marginally better than the "firing - Reid style".