cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The demise of U.S. Track and Field (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21749)

MikeWaters 08-22-2008 03:23 PM

The demise of U.S. Track and Field

has happened right before our eyes.

It's not surprising, given the extremely low status of the athletes in the United States, compared to Europe. It's actually quite shocking that we were as good as we were for so long.

The ironic thing is that half the international track athletes go the USA for college, and then all the athletes later just compete in Europe basically.

What makes track so attractive to European sports fans, but so unattractive to American fans?

Jeremy Wariner, or whatever his name is, sums up the ugly American. With his small head and huge sunglasses, his gawdy diamond earrings and ridiculous chain, his stupid 24 hour fitness commercial where he acts like an aloof asshole, then confirms that acting as his real personality after the 400m, acting like a jerk in front of the NBC cameras "none of that", storming away.

Ugh. There's not a single feel-good interesting person that's come out of track and field for the USA. Endorsements are going to be especially low, and maybe that's why Wariner acted like a baby--knowing that his $ had just flown out the window.

Surfah 08-22-2008 03:33 PM

To be honest, I never thought track was something big. In high school track was a secondary or maybe even tertiary sport used by athletes who played football or basketball to stay in shape in the offseason or to avoid spring ball practices.

MikeWaters 08-22-2008 03:35 PM

in 2012, only one major American sport will be in the Olympics--basketball.

Watching Olympic basketball is actually even worse than watching awful NBA games.

Surfah 08-22-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 255818)
in 2012, only one major American sport will be in the Olympics--basketball.

Watching Olympic basketball is actually even worse than watching awful NBA games.

Rule changes though within FIBA will make the game more like the NBA by 2012. Some changes are going to be instituted right after the game and the rest in 2010.

MikeWaters 08-22-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 255823)
Rule changes though within FIBA will make the game more like the NBA by 2012. Some changes are going to be instituted right after the game and the rest in 2010.

I really don't care about Olympic basketball, and honestly I would like to see the scumbags on the American team walk away with nothing.

Surfah 08-22-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 255827)
I really don't care about Olympic basketball, and honestly I would like to see the scumbags on the American team walk away with nothing.

Who peed in your cheerios this morning?

MikeWaters 08-22-2008 03:52 PM

here's a great piece on Kobe's olympic dream:

http://www.slatev.com/player.html?id=1729330447

TripletDaddy 08-22-2008 03:55 PM

Track and field started going downhill when you and your dad were running your crappy, slow 100s/200s in Waco.

You ruined it for everyone.

MikeWaters 08-22-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 255839)
Track and field started going downhill when you and your dad were running your crappy, slow 100s/200s in Waco.

You ruined it for everyone.

I really feel bad for the guys like you that tried out for the volleyball team and didn't make it. Like you.

Yikes. They should cut the balls off the boys who do that.

Surfah 08-22-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 255843)
I really feel bad for the guys like you that tried out for the volleyball team and didn't make it. Like you.

Yikes. They should cut the balls off the boys who do that.

Not everyone gets to make the volleyball team. The again, in HS I played against 2 Olympians who will play for the gold. Pretty tough competition in my hood.